Repro 69 Barracuda Trunk Panel

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Anybody seen up close the reproduction 69 Barracuda trunk panels. I have been doing some side work to buy one, but want to know the quality of the piece before I plop down 450$.

thanks,

Rod

Anybody seen up close the reproduction 69 Barracuda trunk panels. I have been doing some side work to buy one, but want to know the quality of the piece before I plop down 450$.

thanks,

Rod

I saw one at Moparfest this year. It was at the Laysons booth. It looked nice, I dont believe it was painted at all and not sure if it had the "fish" on the pass side. I didnt look real close as mine is an "S". I know for sure you cant get them with the "S" emblem on them. Like I said from what I saw looked nice. If you decide to go with Laysons, buy thru Rick here on the forum. Good guy!

I actually have three used panels. Two are S panels, however, one is missing the medalion. I don't know if I should send one out to get it redone or just buy a repro.

saw one last year at the gibralter trade show for the winter swap meet looks AMAZING

I actually have three used panels. Two are S panels, however, one is missing the medalion. I don't know if I should send one out to get it redone or just buy a repro.

What condition is your best one? Trick is finding a place to straighten it, buff it, re-anodizing (if you are looking for the orginal sheen), and paint it correctly.

Here are 2 links, 1 is for a thread I started when I bought a used but refurbished "S" panel. Cost me $400-$450 cant remember exactly
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165700

and here is a link to metro's website for the "S" panel..pics wouldnt show up on my computer, but the description says "S" panel, but I know when I looked at them that they didnt have the medallion...if you got a nice medallion, swap it over onto a repop.
http://www.buymetroparts.com/item/a-body/1969-plymouth-barracuda-formul/lid=31592565

Yep; they are repo's lighter/thin.Look good at 20 foot.

Here are 2 links, 1 is for a thread I started when I bought a used but refurbished "S" panel. Cost me $400-$450 cant remember exactly
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165700

and here is a link to metro's website for the "S" panel..pics wouldnt show up on my computer, but the description says "S" panel, but I know when I looked at them that they didnt have the medallion...if you got a nice medallion, swap it over onto a repop.
http://www.buymetroparts.com/item/a-body/1969-plymouth-barracuda-formul/lid=31592565

Did that used piece have the exposed aluminum edges painted instead of polished aluminum? Doesn't look like the piece that was on McKan's 69 Barracuda.

Yep; they are repo's lighter/thin.Look good at 20 foot.

yikes ...i have an original one that is all dented up from hail ......so if re-pops are even thinner .....then a re-pop would never hold up against even light hail......which in Colorado is a major problem ....we get sooo much hail here, all the newer cars are beat up.

Did that used piece have the exposed aluminum edges painted instead of polished aluminum? Doesn't look like the piece that was on McKan's 69 Barracuda.

Hey Steve, yes the bottom and top part of the panel are painted, not polished/anodized. And it is from Mckan/Bob. Other than that there is not a single blemish on it. When the time comes to put it on the car, I might take it to have the top and bottom professionally done, but compared to what my orig "S" panel looked like, this one is light years ahead.

Okay, I just got my repro 69 Barracuda trunk trim panel. I do think it is slightly thinner metal than my originals. With that said, the new panel really looks nice and I am happy with it. I will keep my old ones in case I ever want to have them redone, but for now the the repro is going on.

I also scored a Mopar Performance viscous fan for 80 bucks on ebay. It is new with only some scratches on the fan paint. Nothing a little spray can won't fix. Should be a whole lot better than my direct drive fan I have now.

-
Back