Reproduction tail lights - how to get them made?

-

Arizona

Former Yooper, always a MoPar fan.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with getting repop parts made? I am interested in getting 65 Dart tail light lenses made....

Jim

I saw a car show where they made some lenses using a latex mold and formed one from a good used one. Not sure of the specifics but they formed it with a red plastic and polished it after and it looked good on TV.

unrelated to tv show but youtube on how to do it.

I saw a car show where they made some lenses using a latex mold and formed one from a good used one. Not sure of the specifics but they formed it with a red plastic and polished it after and it looked good on TV.

unrelated to tv show but youtube on how to do it.

I found Smooth-On easily. Looks like just the thing. But, way more of a project in itself than I had in mind. I am thinking of who would do that for me. Thanks.

Last edited:
way more of a project in itself than I had in mind
I understand. I drew up and 3D printed some small plastic parts for my dart. They worked OK but need to be injection molded, that's where the cost comes in and with a very small market for one year only parts there's not enough base to spread the one time costs per part.

BTW there are clear hard 3D materials that can be printed and you can have things 3D scanned. perhaps that is a way to go. might cut your cost for 2 lenses in half. I would be tempted to have a few made as alot of 3d materials don't hold up to the whether well.

I assume you have looked for NOS and good used online.

I understand. I drew up and 3D printed some small plastic parts for my dart. They worked OK but need to be injection molded, that's where the cost comes in and with a very small market for one year only parts there's not enough base to spread the one time costs per part.

BTW there are clear hard 3D materials that can be printed and you can have things 3D scanned. perhaps that is a way to go. might cut your cost for 2 lenses in half. I would be tempted to have a few made as alot of 3d materials don't hold up to the whether well.

I assume you have looked for NOS and good used online.

Yes, I keep an eye out for good lenses and also thought about 3D printing. I doubt the quality would be very good, but probably worth a try.

This is the quality that can be achieved with 3D printing.

20180711_182549.jpg

The plastic in my photo is hard like a lens is. I cant speak to the UV resistance but if it were cheap enough and looked good you could have a few made and replace as needed.

I found Smooth-On easily. Looks like just the thing. But, way more of a project in itself than I had in mind. I am thinking of who would do that for me. Thanks.
I'm working (slowly since I have wayyyyyy too many irons in the fire) on a bezel/lens setup for my 66. I'm thinking of an all red lens and bezel molded from an existing lens and bezel. this was my first foray into molding 6 years ago. since then I've made many finds about what not to do! this was one of them.
DSCF2667.JPG
DSCF2668.JPG
DSCF2671.JPG
DSCF2672.JPG

I'm really working on the lens bezel configuration since I customized my lights to Custom leds
DSCF2758.JPG

and now I use the correct tools for molding(plus I get to steal my kids lego's)
DSCF4828.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back