Request some help

-

Methuselah

Reaction score
I posted awhile back about a transmission shop removing my kick-down linkage and causing my transmission to fail. They have refused to cover the cost to repair/rebuild my transmission. I would appreciate it if any of you fellow Mopar guys, that are mechanics could possibly post the extent of damage that can be caused by removing the kick-down. It would help me out a ton when I take them to court.

let the crap fly ... and ...I know this isn't going to help, but I have ran 727s and 904s for long periods of time without the TP hooked up and never cooked one. its not good for it ,and I would never tell anyone its ok, but I have never lost one. how long was it ran? any internal mods done? more info would help. im guessing that the failure is not a direct result of the TP not being hooked up.

OK, my current build for motor performer intake, perform cam, full comp headers, 1405 carb with stage 2 jets rods and springs, spin tech race exhaust, triple core radiator, full msd, 8.5mm wires and plugs car was putting out about 235whp. Transmission was rebuilt 8 years ago but was a bone stock rebuild, now that it failed and I had it rebuilt it's a b&m shift kit transmission.

235?Did you or the shop install the shift kit?I agree with the last poster-it's not good to leave it off but the cause for a new rebuilt to grenade????

The damage done by removing the TP rod would be a fried forward clutchpack.
Also could cause a burned second gear band, but these two are usually the first to go.

OK, my current build for motor performer intake, perform cam, full comp headers, 1405 carb with stage 2 jets rods and springs, spin tech race exhaust, triple core radiator, full msd, 8.5mm wires and plugs car was putting out about 235whp. Transmission was rebuilt 8 years ago but was a bone stock rebuild, now that it failed and I had it rebuilt it's a b&m shift kit transmission.

Not getting this, are you saying the transmission failed after 8 years?

No, he was saying the transmission was rebuilt 8 years ago to stock. When it failed he pulled it and had the shop rebuild it with the shift kit and THEY are the ones that left the kick down linkage off and made the tranny fail again.

Me either..... Manual valve body and lack of Mopar tranny knowledge? Hell I don't know.

Wait....he pulled it, or they pulled it, because that would imply who installed it and that would imply who fried it.

Ok- I give up.I'm just not as good as I used to be at reading minds.

Just read his original post on 3/19 and it's confusing to me. Here's a link to it

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227617

In it he said, "The transmission linkage spring and the valve body somehow came off. The shop that replaced that spring for some reason removed my kick down linkage spring from the linkage assembly and carburetor".

I can understand a spring coming off but the valve body came off??? Then he said the shop removed the kick down linkage spring from the carburetor. Doesn't look to me like he said the linkage was removed in that post, just the spring was removed.

I have never seen anywhere where he said the shop in question pulled the transmission. They just worked on the kick down linkage.

He needs to clarify what was actually removed.

Ok 2 different shops. First issue from 3/19 post, I was driving on the freeway and the car stopped shifting. I took it to Aamco because I was on work comp and had limited income, they replaced the spring on the valve body side of the transmission, they also for some reason removed the kickdown linkage spring assembly.

I drove the car for a few days, took it back to Aamco told them something was wrong, shifting really high 2nd to 3rd at 55-60mph under casual conditions and was slapping into gear. They said they "adjusted it" 3 weeks later I came back to Aamco again, and told them same issues, spoke with the transmission repair from Aamco, which is when he told me he removed the linkage spring cause it didn't look someone else's car mopar that was in the their shop. I came back again, now 3 moths and 1800 miles later, They told me they weren't equip to fix my problem and that I should take it to another shop. So I saved up some cash, and took it to a friends performance shop, and he said I need to have the transmission rebuilt, so I took it to a different transmission shop , and they pulled the pan where we found the band and part of a clutch sitting in the pan. That shop rebuilt it and added a shift kit, it has been perfect since. I am suing Aamco for failing to perform a proper repair, and for causing increased damage to my transmission by removing the kickdown.

Based on the full description, am I correct in assuming the removal of the kickdown caused my transmission to fail.

Ok 2 different shops. First issue from 3/19 post, I was driving on the freeway and the car stopped shifting. I took it to Aamco because I was on work comp and had limited income, they replaced the spring on the valve body side of the transmission, they also for some reason removed the kickdown linkage spring assembly.

I drove the car for a few days, took it back to Aamco told them something was wrong, shifting really high 2nd to 3rd at 55-60mph under casual conditions and was slapping into gear. They said they "adjusted it" 3 weeks later I came back to Aamco again, and told them same issues, spoke with the transmission repair from Aamco, which is when he told me he removed the linkage spring cause it didn't look someone else's car mopar that was in the their shop. I came back again, now 3 moths and 1800 miles later, They told me they weren't equip to fix my problem and that I should take it to another shop. So I saved up some cash, and took it to a friends performance shop, and he said I need to have the transmission rebuilt, so I took it to a different transmission shop , and they pulled the pan where we found the band and part of a clutch sitting in the pan. That shop rebuilt it and added a shift kit, it has been perfect since. I am suing Aamco for failing to perform a proper repair, and for causing increased damage to my transmission by removing the kickdown.

Based on the full description, am I correct in assuming the removal of the kickdown caused my transmission to fail.

Here's what I see. In one place (1st highlighted section) you say they removed the kickdown linkage spring assy. and in another place (2nd highlighted section) you just say they removed the kickdown. Which is it? Also by the description of how it shifted at real high shift points is not indicative of a kickdown linkage that was removed, just mal-adjusted or a spring missing. And it's in the direction of adding more pressure, not less such as no linkage at all or adjusted too loose. What happens is if the linkage is removed or adjusted so that it doesn't apply enough throttle pressure is it lowers hydraulic pressure to the clutch packs and band servo's allowing them to slip. The shift points also come in at a lower speed because the linkage from the carb to the trans. does 2 jobs, regulates clutch pack and band servo pressure and works in conjunction with the governor to make the trans. shift at the right speed. If all they did was remove the spring which increased the shift points I highly doubt they are the cause of the failure.

IMO the company that did the recent rebuild are the best ones to say what happened because they saw it as it came from Aamco. If Aamco had something screwed, such as linkage removed, they can write it up in your best interest. I used to write work orders when I worked for Hyster and a few times I went in after someone else to fix something they screwed up and when I wrote the work order up I said what they did wrong so the customer had leverage against the other company.

What did the company that just rebuilt it say happened?

just example , I drove a 70 coronet , 318 / 904 with no kickdown (TP) rod on the engine or trans whatsoever for over 3 years , everyday. its not good for it , no. the car was still driving and shifting fine when I sold it. it sounds to me like "AAMCO" (the transmission wizards) did something else to it that caused it to fail . I don't see it completely failing after just a "few" days of not being hooked up , I could be wrong of course , but considering who was working on it , I would not be surprised

you will have to prove in a court of law that they were directly responsible for the failure. you will need all the paperwork and show that there is or was a guarantee on the work done and that it was still valid when it let go.

I hope you sue the **** out of them and win. AAMCO is a joke, this isn't the first time ive heard of their shoddy work and refusal to make it right

More likely the trans was eating itself when you first took it in, and they removed the TP rod spring to get the pressures up to make it last a little longer (Which caused it to shift late and hard)
What Aamco should have done was pull the pan, seen the destruction in progress and recommended a full rebuild.

Sounds like they kind of just sent you down the road, but they shouldn't have charged you anything if they did.
Removing the TP return spring will not destroy a good trans, but will make it shift late and harder due to the TP valve not being returned to the idle position. (This is why I think they took it off, to make up for it getting weak)
I don't think you will get anywhere suing them for the trans damage, but maybe reimbursed if you paid them anything for what they did.

I used to work for Aamco as a builder/service writer and I can tell you how it would have been handled in my shop.

It would have had the fluid checked and a test drive done.
If it seemed like it worked ok the pan would have been taken down and the contents evaluated.
If there were abnormal contents in the pan, I would recommed a teardown for inspection.
Upon seeing exessive clutch material wear you would have been told that it needed a full rebuild including a new converter, and the cooling lines flushed.

At that point if you refused the rebuild it would have been slapped back together and sent down the road at no charge.

And just a little company internal secret,,,, If you were shown the damage to the trans and said you thought you could fix it yourself, it would very likely get reassembled with red locktite on all the belhousing and converter bolts and get put back in tighter than hell.
Company policy was, even if you refused the rebuild it had to get put back together working no worse than it did when it was brought in.
That meant we had to put good parts in sometimes just to get it out of the shop and down the road.
We NEVER dissasembled a trans for inspection and let it leave that way.
It ALWAYS was reassembled and put back in the car before the customer could take it.

Point is, they shouldn't have touched it at all unless they were willing to inspect it internally.
If they charged you for what they did, then you might have a chance of getting that back.

They will say "He told us he couldn't afford to have it rebuilt, so we just tried to get him by for awhile"
Which is actually a no no, as company policy is that you do it all and do it right, or don't do it at all.

My personal oppinion, is that you will lose if you try to claim they caused the damage that required it to be rebuilt.

???full description?Here are some questions that-if you get this into court-you will be asked.How many miles were on the trans when you took it to Aamco?When you say-limited income- that says you probably informed them you could not afford a full rebuild.Did you direct them to do what they could to-get it back on the road?It is very obvious that you knew you needed a rebuild-if they did as you directed-you are at fault.I will guarantee that a "full rebuild" was discussed and if you declined-in effect you directed them to-get it going.Odd that you have a friend in the business but you took it to Aamco but later to another shop for a complete rebuild????? I'm not a fan of Aamco and have no connection to the company.Good Luck

???full description?Here are some questions that-if you get this into court-you will be asked.How many miles were on the trans when you took it to Aamco?When you say-limited income- that says you probably informed them you could not afford a full rebuild.Did you direct them to do what they could to-get it back on the road?It is very obvious that you knew you needed a rebuild-if they did as you directed-you are at fault.I will guarantee that a "full rebuild" was discussed and if you declined-in effect you directed them to-get it going.Odd that you have a friend in the business but you took it to Aamco but later to another shop for a complete rebuild????? I'm not a fan of Aamco and have no connection to the company.Good Luck

This would be correct.

What is the value of an 8 year old transmission? Should you win that is all you are entiled to. The courts can't put you back in a better position then you were in when you started.

What did the company that just rebuilt it say happened?

Xs2, They are the experts here and would have the credibility in a court room. What does the repair order from the shop that fixed your car say?

No one here has seen or witnessed anything about what happened with your transmission. The chances that any judge is going to even allow what is said in a public forum as evidence is very unlikely even though the information may really be better than the shops.

My friend doesn't do transmission rebuilds, and he runs his business out of his garage. I have 3 friends that own shops non of them do transmissions. Aamoc was the cheap choice. Limited income of 70% of salary due to workers comp, obviously wasn't that I couldn't afford a rebuild, after it blew up I had it rebuilt without delay.....

Aamco did pull the pan while they had it at the shop, the fluid was dark, and had small particulate in the pan, I had them flush the transmission and replace the filter.

My guess is they helped the transmission fail faster and that I am screwed out of the cost for my rebuild.

My friend doesn't do transmission rebuilds, and he runs his business out of his garage. I have 3 friends that own shops non of them do transmissions. Aamoc was the cheap choice. Limited income of 70% of salary due to workers comp, obviously wasn't that I couldn't afford a rebuild, after it blew up I had it rebuilt without delay.....

Aamco did pull the pan while they had it at the shop, the fluid was dark, and had small particulate in the pan, I had them flush the transmission and replace the filter.

My guess is they helped the transmission fail faster and that I am screwed out of the cost for my rebuild.

You may have something there in one area.
If the fluid was dark it shouldn't have been flushed and new fluid added.
It should have been disassembled to find out what made the fluid dark.
(Exessive clutch material in the fluid and/or heat from slipping friction material makes fluid dark)
They probably should have recommended against the flush and fluid change.
New fluid will disolve old friction material due to the fresh detergents.

At best, it was dying and the new fluid hastened it's death.

They will still argue that it was a 40 year old transmission though.

-
Back