Restored Swinger Emblems

-

Bob Wilkie

Reaction score
I decided to see what I could do with my lack of skills and make the emblems all look better. I first polished them with a Dremel tool. They have some minor pitting in areas, but they otherwise shined up pretty well. Then I spray painted them with satin black and used a q-tip with thinner to remove the paint from the top surface. The chrome shined through very well against the black. Next I grabbed a small brush and my reading glasses then tried to see how steady my hand was while painting the Daisies on the Swinger emblems using the extra FY1 yellow paint my body guy gave me. I see flaws, but I think they will look great once they are on the car. I wanted to share the process in case anyone else wants to restore theirs and likes how these came out.

IMG_5742.JPG

QQOQ5977.JPG

WCLM7730.JPG

I decided to see what I could do with my lack of skills and make the emblems all look better. I first polished them with a Dremel tool. They have some minor pitting in areas, but they otherwise shined up pretty well. Then I spray painted them with satin black and used a q-tip with thinner to remove the paint from the top surface. The chrome shined through very well against the black. Next I grabbed a small brush and my reading glasses then tried to see how steady my hand was while painting the Daisies on the Swinger emblems using the extra FY1 yellow paint my body guy gave me. I see flaws, but I think they will look great once they are on the car. I wanted to share the process in case anyone else wants to restore theirs and likes how these came out.

View attachment 1715821032

View attachment 1715821033

View attachment 1715821034
That is great work!

I did mine. Used a rag and lacquer thinner. I still need to install the fender emblems which means drilling holes as my fenders were replaced with non Swinger ones..

20190127_124101.jpg

20160502_165408.jpg

Did you wait for the black to dry before removing it from the chrome?

He has yellow outside the lines. Lol
:poke:
I agree and it bothers me too. I tried so hard, but the yellow is so thin I had to put a lot in there to get good coverage - Otherwise the black under it kept bleeding through. Some of it crept out of the petals a few minutes after I painted it. These old eyes and an unsteady hands were probably big factors too. Today I scratched my thumbnail across the top edge of the flower petals and was able to remove some of the yellow. I can't do much about the yellow that went in between the petals though. I think yours look better than mine for that main reason. Your chrome top surface looks like it is in better condition too. You and I will probably be the only people who see the flaws once they are on the finished car though.

The trick is to use a fine point paint maker. If you were closer I'd fix them for free.

I just did Headlight Bezels. So I have a steady hand. I actually drink coffee when I do detail work. Go figure.

20211028_172502.jpg

20211031_143449.jpg

I'll make you a offer. You mail them to me in a small flat rate USPS box. I'll fix them and mail them back at my cost. Should be around $8 for both of us.

Next time, strip all the old paint off, then lay the yellow in first, black last

Next time, strip all the old paint off, then lay the yellow in first, black last
Not sure how I would do that. I stripped the old paint off, then spray painted the whole thing, then wiped off the chrome surface and what I could from the flowers, then small brushed in the yellow. Seems like it would be harder to paint the black around the sides of the flowers without getting into the yellow area.

-
Back