Restoring Commando covers

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I'm restoring a set of '67 Commando valve covers. Does anyone know how the chrome "fins" are held on....some sort of glue? ....and how would they be removed without damaging the fins or the covers?

Thanks gang!!!!

I used JBWeld on mine.

MVC-855S.JPG

Thanks Lee. When you removed them,did you just pry under them and they popped off or cut though the adhesive with a blade?

I used a putty knife to assist in removing the aluminum "finned" pieces. Use care, mine were attached with a black adhesive that didn't want to let go easily and the aluminum pieces can be bent more easily than you might think. I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to attach mine and they are holding up just fine.

Ok,guys. I got the fins off in one piece....er...should I say 4 pieces!! Thanks 65Charger for the tips. I used a long bladed knife and just sliced underneath the fins and through the black adhesive that was holding the fins on. I'm going to blast the covers clean and repaint them with wrinkle black paint then reattach the fins with weatherstrip adhesive.

Now, the small wiring harness holding brackets seem to be covered in a rubber-like coating over the metal tab. Is there a product available today that would duplicate this covering?

Thanks gang!

You may not be able to get the plastic tabs. However, if you get some
Plasti-Dip from Home Depot you can make new ones. If you have never used this product before read the directions and practice.

Rick

Thanks for the tip,Rick. I was thinking a plastic-dip product of some kind could replicate the look of the covering on the tabs.

Regarding the black wrinkle paint,has anyone had better luck with one product over another,like say, bar-B-que paint,or should I just go with the wrinkle paint currently available?

-
Back