Restoring my 74 swinger

-

Resto

Reaction score
I am restoring a 74 swinger. I will get some pics up soon. Its completely gutted. It has a brand new a/c firewall. Insides fenders are already painted. Underneath the entire hood(which isn't on the car) is all painted and almost finished body wise. It has a very straight body. It came with a rebuilt 225 slant 6 and 904. Both were removed to finish under the hood. There is only one rust spot that is pretty bad. It's the panel under the passenger side door. It's a rust whole maybe 3 inches long. I will really see what's going on when I get it sanded and primed. I don't own a sandblaster. I've heard bad stories about them warping sheet metal so I was thinking of going with an angle grinder and several polycarbide abrasive wheels and do the body by hand. It has the original paint from 74 and it looks real good just faded. I've been told that I could just paint over the old paint since I'm painting close to the same color, but I've never done that before. I have an 8 1/4 rear end that is completely disassembled. I'm wondering if that is a strong enough rear end since I'm changing the /6 and 904 with a nice v8 and an A833 4 speed Tran. Which would make the swinger more valuable, a 360 or a 383? Any help would be SO appreciated. I'm an auto tech and am just learning bodywork. I buy them, restore them, then sell them. I will post pictures tonight and I'm very thankful for all you great people that help so much. Thanks- Jeremy

8 1/4 is a good rear end. Being you are going to flip it, the 383 will be a lot more expensive to install since it takes a special K frame or extensive modifications.

If anyone has any better ideas than using the wheels and grinder to sand this bad boy I'd love to hear them. All the seats are perfectly upholstered as well as the door panels. I've switched from benchseats to bucket seats but the center console I have is cracked. The guy I bought it from was going to make it an auto with a 241 Red Ram Hemi. I thought about putting the hemi in bc it is sooooooooooooo beautiful, but i would have to do a lot to get it where I want it. I'm trying to sell the hemi, but I haven't decided on a 360, 383, or 440. Any suggestions? I'm trying to make it as valuable as I can. It's going to be showroom.

8 1/4 is a good rear end. Being you are going to flip it, the 383 will be a lot more expensive to install since it takes a special K frame or extensive modifications.

So the 360 would be cheaper to install? What about a 440. I've found a great deal on a440 rebuilt block. I know the 383 is a tight fit and I'd need a heat deflector.

Man I just can't figure how to upload pictures from my Android. I want to show you all the new a/c firewall and see what you guys think about the color. I'm thinking of painting it an awesome in your face color. That's what the muscle car era was about, crazy colors and awesome power. I have a dark red candy apple and im not sure it's 'in you're face' enough.

So the 360 would be cheaper to install? What about a 440. I've found a great deal on a440 rebuilt block. I know the 383 is a tight fit and I'd need a heat deflector.

Wow, i phrased that question so bad it made sound dumb as hell.

as for the sanding, the cheapest way is to block sand the whole car with 600 grit but don't break through the original paint, then a coat of sealer then your base & clear I stip all my cars down to the bare metal with paint stripper or sand blast (minus-hood & trunk lid) then you have a clean base to work with any questions feel free to pm me (cawley) good luck with it

as for the sanding, the cheapest way is to block sand the whole car with 600 grit but don't break through the original paint, then a coat of sealer then your base & clear I stip all my cars down to the bare metal with paint stripper or sand blast (minus-hood & trunk lid) then you have a clean base to work with any questions feel free to pm me (cawley) good luck with it

I'm staying away from the chemicals, but do you use sand as the media? Do you prefer sands, walnut shells, plastic, or soda blasting?

My two cents. In regard to metal work. I am not expert, the sanding mentioned above was told to me to be safe, but a bit labor intensive. Blasting was described like welding..it is heat and time. A long exposure on a flat piece and you have an increased risk of warping. If I am in left field...someone will tell me. As far as the motor question...you are flipping right? So less in and more return is your objective? I have two builds going on the 74 is a small block driver. The 72 is a complete mod and 440 transplant. You can put anything in the car, but in my opinion you have to address weight and HP issues differently In both projects. If you do it right you are going to be cutting it close to get your money. Consider where you plan to market and how much you are looking to sell for as you plan the build. If it is going in your garage....that is a whole different monkey!

-
Back