restoring pot metal

-

plugger340

Reaction score
'My Classic Car' (2011, episode 18) was about Jay Leno's garage. Jay briefly demonstarted a product that was poured over plated pot metal to restore the finish. Does anyone know what the product is?

If you are referring to "Spray-On-Chrome", Jay has a video on the JayLeno's Garage website. Claims to be able to chrome almost anything.

There is also a neat product that I read about which allows you to drill and fill the pot metal pocks with a low temperature weld, so you can avoid destroying it.. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it has potential to save me some $$ in the future

http://www.muggyweld.com/potmetal.html

Grant

I'd love to be able to find a shop that can do that chrome pour over stuff. I've done some great searches as well as went to the German manufacturer and it seems only Leno has the system.

Here's a link to the system I was thinking about purchasing. But the cost of materials isn't worth it to me. You'd have to charge what it costs for regular chrome.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Riddler

There is a guy who comes to the local flea market and demonstates repairing broken pot metal, cast aluminum etc.. He sells the special welding rods ( 1 foot stick for 1 dollar ). They are said to be a blend of aluminum, zinc, etc.. I talked with another guy who once worked for this seller at another flea market. He said the secret to success is very very low heat and keep the rods stored in a air tight container to keep them bone dry. To let them absorb any moisture and even using on a rainy day will effect their performance. Oddly enough they are sold unwrapped. 3 pieces bound with a small piece of tape for 3 dollars.
Also , I was very impressed with the spray chrome product shown ( video ) at Leno's Garage. Fool proof application and eco friendly too.
I was disappointed by that chromesolutions.de website.
I hope they get affordable international sales available soon.

I've tried alsa killer chrome. Disappointed with results.

I have used Alsa Killer chrome. After I got the hang of proper application it turns out a nice shiny reflective surface, but not even close to real chrome. Not a substitute in my view.

Silver solder melts at over 450 degrees where the specialty pot metal rods are under 400. I have used Muggy Weld and, so far, found it to be the most satisfactory pot metal rod.

-
Back