• ratchet straps

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • wing & a prayer

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Restraints....when you are hauling your beloved Mopar (or gasp, other brand) on a trailer....Just wondering what others use. Started out with chains/binders but when I needed to move an F150 I switched to ratchet straps....Ernie bought a set of MACS for me, liked them so much I bought a set for the bike.......

I've always preferred chains, but I recently bought a tire basket setup. I'm not entirely sure I like it. The Dart, especially, with big tires under tight fenders, leave no room. You must be VERY careful not to cut or fray them. Last, some of the ratchet straps I have, bought before I knew better, have the wide flat hooks, which are an absolute PITA.

I hauled it to a shop last year, and ended up using chains on the rear and tire baskets up front.

My earlier ratchets have these a mistake and a PITA:

keeper-2inch-ratchet-straps_04623.jpg

The tire baskets came with these, much better and more useful

83049_1024x768_a.jpg

At first I didn't trust the ratchet straps but now I do. Oh, and 67Dart is right about hooks are better than those flat angle pieces.

Not the best picture

View attachment strap.jpg

but this is the type of hook that the MACS have. The package that she bought for me came with a duffel bag, axle straps and Velcro straps to keep them neat. Really like them. After cinching the vehicle down I have never had to re-tighten them, even after they have gotten soaked while under tension.

I like the ratchet straps.

Not the best picture

but this is the type of hook that the MACS have. The package that she bought for me came with a duffel bag, axle straps and Velcro straps to keep them neat. Really like them. After cinching the vehicle down I have never had to re-tighten them, even after they have gotten soaked while under tension.

I like this setup a lot though!

Chains and Binder only thing that goes on the trailer is parts cars and cars in need of help
The good cars never see a trailer. Charger hasnt been on one in the 20 plus years it been back together

Years ago I got a ticket for using a come along as a restraint. Also got ticketed for only having two restraints, apparently some states require 4....

The come along only sun he's the rear chain tight while I put the front chain on. After that, it's decor

The come along only sun he's the rear chain tight while I put the front chain on. After that, it's decor

That is how my old drag racing buddy did things. Before I understood what he had done he asked me to unload the car for him. I stood there, dumbfounded, for a minute or so before the light bulb went off. He eventually bought a winch after I refused to use the come along in the middle of a pouring storm. We always carried a spare chain or two, just in case something, like his knuckle-headed helper, that would be me, somehow lost a chain.....Just wondering, what size chain do you use?? Guessing you use the standard grab style hook??

View attachment hook.jpg

Similar to this?

That is how my old drag racing buddy did things. Before I understood what he had done he asked me to unload the car for him. I stood there, dumbfounded, for a minute or so before the light bulb went off. He eventually bought a winch after I refused to use the come along in the middle of a pouring storm. We always carried a spare chain or two, just in case something, like his knuckle-headed helper, that would be me, somehow lost a chain.....Just wondering, what size chain do you use?? Guessing you use the standard grab style hook??

Similar to this?

Yes. Not exactly sure what size chain it is. It's thick shat. That's what I know! Rofl

As a professional towtruck operator (in business since 1986), I prefer to use 2 inch ratchet straps (hooks-not flat clasps) hooked to axle straps.......crossed front and rear to keep car from walking sideways on the deck....also leave the winch hooked up, and an old school safety strap tied to the front end..........it may be overkill, but I don't lose stuff and it stays right where I locked it down!

Taking a few extra minutes goes a long way toward mental health- I feel good about looking in the mirror knowing the people behind me are safe!(not to mention my insurance isn't in danger either!)

I refused to use the come along in the middle of a pouring storm.

I'll tell ya, I've pulled, pushed, lifted, skidded, moved one HELL of a lot of "stuff" with come-a-longs. I have two, nowadays somewhat the worse for wear. Both have had the original (useless) slip hooks replaced with grab hooks as you pictured.

One time up "Pack River" 4 of us with my two come-a-longs and some chain and rope pulled a Jeep CJ out that was sunk in the mud up to the door cutouts.

On the trailer, I used to string a chain from the target vehicle up to the trailer front, and "grab" the chain with a CAL. I'd winch it up, then take the second one and bridge the first, rinse repeat. A "double line" (snatch block) equipped CAL can pull a LOT of weight, if you are a little patient.

Nowadays, I've got a used winch. Wish to 'ell I had a wench to go with!!!!

When I hauled the junker Duster and FJ-40 up to "home" for a temporary resting place, the LC got on the trailer via --hand CAL

In fact when I bought the Cletrac it was hand CAL onto the trailer.

20adv8j.jpg

Dont know what to call them but my trailer has some "cranks" built onto each corner and I have four chains with 3 different hooks on each chain. It came with a long cheater bar to use on these cranks and you can cinch a vehicle DOWN let me tell you.. I promise you could rip a frame in half with these things. I used straps before but feel this is way better and easier.. I will get pics if anyone is interested..

Not the best picture

View attachment 1714621372

These look very good and look very much like the professionals use (at least that I have seen). I never paid much attention before, but I worked an auction a couple of weeks ago and the company they use is Passport Transport for their muscle and classic cars. This looks very much like what they use for securing the cars in their semi-trailers.

BTW, I use ratchet straps what little I have trailered. My trailer is currently storage for most of my project. Worked fine bringing it from upstate NY to N.C. last year.

-
Back