Resurrecting/remotivating my '69 Dart project from garage solitary

-

cudavert

DARTAHOLIC
Reaction score
Errrrr.....well, here goes. Let's see if I can break the cycle of apathy that has settled over my '69 Dart project car. I can totally relate to all the threads that have described these feelings. But.....time goes on and I decided changes have got to be made. Don't wanna bore ya'll with money issues etc., but let's just say there was a certain chevy in my fleet that found out it was on the "low end of the valuable totum pole", and just went bye-bye, thus re-energizing my Dart fund.

So, here's where things stand....notice the date of when it was painted :cheers:

Attachments

• imageedit_9_9093375034.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 342
The '77 4-speed Z28 off to its new owner about 4 or 5 days ago......the sacrificial lamb for the Dart's voracious appetite for currency.....

Attachments

• DSCF2462.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 318
Now, let's rummage through my shed for some 8 3/4 goodies.....I'm going to have Sutton narrow this thing down. I had some problems with this dude before, but he's super Mopar, so.......let me keep my fingers crossed.

http://www.suttonrearend.com/

Attachments

• DSCF2458.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 322
In keeping with my "just as long as you do something" philosophy, I laid hands on the Dart today. Definitely not anything big time....front shocks installed, rattle-canned the battery tray and found the master cylinder, horns and wiper motor. Ever seen a cleaner factory battery tray? Now ya'll know why I gotta get that rear end built......I can't even work on this thing!! Gotta get it roll-able!

Attachments

• DSCF2481.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF2475.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 302
Know what I call that? A DAMN GOOD START!!!!! Bravo! All ya gotta do is keep doing the same thing each and every day and before you know it, you might even pass me up!
Good on ya!

Thanks, Captain! I'm determined to be move forward, if even at a snail's pace! Today....just a bit of trimming and straightening of the 4-speed hump. I've got about a 1/2" tear that I'll be welding up tomorrow, then cleaning it up a bit more and Rustoleum-ing it.

Attachments

• DSCF2489.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF2490.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 265
uh oh ...your going to pass me up now ......

that Camaro was a cool car but .....I understand and if I was smarter I would thin my herd and dump more money into a select few ....keyword IF

uh oh ...your going to pass me up now ......

that Camaro was a cool car but .....I understand and if I was smarter I would thin my herd and dump more money into a select few ....keyword IF

Wait about another 6 or 8 years.....LOL And plus, I realized I've bought tires for some of my other old cars, just to watch them start to weather crack over time probably without even 500 miles on 'em. Total waste.....totally dumb. I'm a slow learner......can't spread your money and time too thin.

I think I need to buy a bead blaster now. I wanna hang my pedals but they look like hell.

I think I need to buy a bead blaster now. I wanna hang my pedals but they look like hell.

[/QUOTE]

Mine had a brown rust coating like they had been powder coated. Overnight in evaporust and they looked pristine. Not the easiest parts to blast.
Good to see you start on the 69.
Pics please.

Still been workin' on it....a little bit per day. Gas tank's done. Got a set of these coming in the mail as well, for the offset rear end that's going in. Like that shorty homemade seal puller? It's a cut-down Pep Boys dent puller.

dcc-4120075_w_m.jpg
dcc-4120077_w_ml.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2491.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 242
Finally got my offset rear leaf spring shackle kit. I dunno if any of ya'll have had a problem with Summit Racing's online catalog saying that the parts "ship tomorrow" only to find out that they're backordered to eternity!! I waited a month for them!....only to find out they really couldn't tell me WHEN they'd get them from MP! So I found these online at a little shop called Central High Performance in North Carolina at only $128.59 ($17 for shipping) vs. $149.97 at Summit!

I already got my offset rear spring hangers last month. Supposed to have my narrowed 8 3/4" rear end back from Sutton's next week too......hopefully.

Attachments

• phppN9OQaAM.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 139
California daylight savings time = gets dark around 5pm = mucho man-cave time. Sutton still has my 8 3/4" rear (narrowing a B-body housing and altering spring perches) but I'm getting things ready for when it arrives.

Attachments

• DSCF2569.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 132
did you ever try out that "metal ready" stuff we were talkin about?

that is a clean battery tray, looks like cars in your area are same like cars here as far rust goes .....what rust? :compress:

glad to see you some "man cave" time ......im planning on getting "Rani cave" time today too.

are you going to do sub-frame connectors?

that's my next thing on my "to do" list

did you ever try out that "metal ready" stuff we were talkin about?

No, not yet.....I started installing the new timing chain on the blue '68, so I've been a little stretched thin on time. Probably within 2 weeks I will though.

Hey, I should do those subframe connectors, but......I'm thinking it would probably be overkill. I'll hafta think about that.....and maybe order some from that Rani-Resto-Co.-for-all-things-Mopar. :D I wanna see how yours turn out, if you take some pics of its installation.

No, not yet.....I started installing the new timing chain on the blue '68, so I've been a little stretched thin on time. Probably within 2 weeks I will though.

Hey, I should do those subframe connectors, but......I'm thinking it would probably be overkill. I'll hafta think about that.....and maybe order some from that Rani-Resto-Co.-for-all-things-Mopar. :D I wanna see how yours turn out, if you take some pics of its installation.

yea, I want to how the sub frame connectors turn out too....that is why Im going to do my first A-body subframe connector job on my cousin's 72 dart ...that's is my experimental mule car LOL

-
Back