Rethinking my old 318...

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I'm 29 and in college so I don't have piles of money to build engines. So here's what I am dealing with. I have a '71 Twister Duster that was my high school car circa '98/99. Me and a friend rebuilt the 318 in 2000 and now it probably has less than 2000 miles on it.
*318 stock bore and stock pistons with moly rings
*All bearings were replaced with Clevite's
*Mopar Performance Double roller timing chain
*Small tube headers
*Crane cam in the 470 lift area with 224 or so duration (Crane Fireball from way back in the day-Erson lifters)
*Melling stock volume oil pump
*'74 318 heads (they are restrictive I know but it was all I had at the time)
*Offy intake and 600 Edelbrock carb (intake performed satisfactory even though people hate it)
*Points distributor with Mallory electronic conversion
*Clutch fan.
*All else pretty much stockish. Rear is an 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and a 4 speed in front.

Would you take and drop some milled 360 heads on the 318? Ditch the 360 heads for swirl port 318 heads???

Or just drop a 360 in it at a later date? I have one but it needs EVERYTHING.
I have some 400's to but a big block swap can't be that cheap to do from my research.

I have another 318 that is modded with 360 heads along with a 268* Mopar cam. It has other this and that mods that make it plenty strong for my '41 Dodge pickup. That one stays. Happy with it...

Just asking opinions even though most will say "go 360!!" :D

Put the rebuilt 318 in it and wait until later. I have been collecting NOS parts for my Barracuda one at a time as they show up with a decent price. You can do the same with your engine so it isn't such a big bite at once.

Put the rebuilt 318 in it and wait until later. I have been collecting NOS parts for my Barracuda one at a time as they show up with a decent price. You can do the same with your engine so it isn't such a big bite at once.

I forgot to mention that the rebuilt 318 is in it..whoops. Just looking for some cheap bang for the buck with what I have. I am kind of attached to the little motor because it was hard to spend what I did on it at the time. Silly I know...

You are probably on to something with that though. I could just take and build a 360 a little at a time. The 360 would probably stay with the car forever.

If you are still in college and the 318 you already have still runs good, I would suggest keeping it in there and enjoying the car as is, until you have a steady good job.

Keep the car reliable and safe.

Old cars cost alot of cash, 2x the cash on planning the money anything you try to do.
I had a mental budget of 5K on just making mine a nice cruiser, almost 7K later I have not touched the body or motor and am the middle of a front end rebuild nighmare.

If you are still in college and the 318 you already have still runs good, I would suggest keeping it in there and enjoying the car as is, until you have a steady good job.

Keep the car reliable and safe.

Old cars cost alot of cash, 2x the cash on planning the money anything you try to do.
I had a mental budget of 5K on just making mine a nice cruiser, almost 7K later I have not touched the body or motor and am the middle of a front end rebuild nighmare.

Good thinking..
I could spend some money on some heads for the 318 and call it good for a while.

I agree 100% about budget's. The '71 needs a suspension rebuild,interior redone,paint and body work along with some other misc items. It's pretty rough but it is the car that hooked me on Mopar over 12 years ago.

PS- I also have a '69 Barracuda that's waiting it's turn. It's gonna take twice the projected budget to straighten out all the issues that some other fool done to it!!

keep the 318, could put on a set of 360 heads and change the pistons to put the static compression wherever you want for the larger chamber volume. www.aeroheadracing.com currently has some good prices on cylinder heads, may have a warranty to back them. Used heads are a crap shoot. Many other vendors out there, don't be hasty and do some research. Many 318 builds and links on this forum, just word search.

So what you're saying is , you spent a good bit of money on the engine over 10 years ago. It still needs suspension, interior, etc.., today and you've raised the hood again.
No disrespect intended. Like they say " Different strokes for different folks "
Do whatever makes you happy.

-
Back