rethinking my whole combo.

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am thinking about, changing my combo yet again.
What I have is
77 360 block bored .030 over
Stock style cast pistons 7.8 to 1 measured WAHOOO!!!
stock rods, pioneer rodbolts.
ballanced
Arp main bolts
engle cam 216 at .050 int ext .458 lift 113 lobe seperation
ported 596 heads 2.02 1.60 vlaves
M1 single plane
Log headers to clear power steering
holley 850
Masterpower t-70

So what do you think of this combo
The cam sound ok?

Ok guys, I am thinking about, changing my combo yet again.
What I have is
77 360 block bored .030 over
Stock style cast pistons 7.8 to 1 measured WAHOOO!!!
stock rods, pioneer rodbolts.
ballanced
Arp main bolts
engle cam 216 at .050 int ext .458 lift 113 lobe seperation
ported 596 heads 2.02 1.60 vlaves
M1 single plane
Log headers to clear power steering
holley 850
Masterpower t-70

So what do you think of this combo
The cam sound ok?

Compression is way low.
Logs will choke it.
M1 single plain...Overkill for set-up.
Holley 850.........Overkill for set-up.

Get the compression up 9.5 to 1 or so.
Edelbrock RPM or Air-Gap (Dual plane)
Holley or Eddie 650-750
340 manifolds or headers.
Cam seems decent.

9.5 to 1 on a turbo motor??!! Iv always run 8 to 1 on my 2.3 turbo cars, and it worked well.
I would think that the custom log manifolds would flow more than a set of factory manifolds
As for the carb thats what i was told to run by the place that is going to set it up for blow through, but I will ask them about it again.
I was also told that a single plane would be easier to setup and tune.

Not trying to argue with what you said, just different than what Ive been told befor.
Thanks

9.5 to 1 on a turbo motor??!! Iv always run 8 to 1 on my 2.3 turbo cars, and it worked well.
I would think that the custom log manifolds would flow more than a set of factory manifolds
As for the carb thats what i was told to run by the place that is going to set it up for blow through, but I will ask them about it again.
I was also told that a single plane would be easier to setup and tune.

Not trying to argue with what you said, just different than what Ive been told befor.
Thanks

Didnt see any mention of a turbo motor....Forget everything I said. :smile:

I think your combo will be hard on Tires....and you may want to consider adding a trans cooler to your tranny.....to withstand all the new found torque you'll be wringing through it.

Good Luck.
Cant wait to see your build pics.

Prine

The only thing I would change Is depending on boost 8 or 10 pounds? would be... Closer to 9:0 to 1 it will help wake it up and if its a zero deck motor be less prone to detonation, I have found that running a large carb is hard to dial in, A smaller carb will richen itself up to a point as rpm increases.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Well If I can use a smaller carb that would be good. I have a 650cfm double pumper that i can send in. I could have the heads milled to get some rise in compression but not that much. I was planning on around 8 psi for now.

Well If I can use a smaller carb that would be good. I have a 650cfm double pumper that i can send in. I could have the heads milled to get some rise in compression but not that much. I was planning on around 8 psi for now.

8 psi with a good tune ( use a wide band ) should make 600 at the flywheel or real close to it, You only need 350 at the flywheel to do rolling burnouts easily if you can get the block decked ( depending On how far the pistons are down in the hole at TDC ) it would be better than shaving your heads at your currant compression ratio, Read up on the quench area in the combustion chamber. That 650 D/P will be real easy to dial in with supporting fuel mods and probably enough to make all the power you can hook up on tires that will fit under your car without alot of cutting.

have fun and try to stay in your lane when your done,
Joe

This will get you fired up.............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1YsaCdFYo&feature=channel_video_title"]Turbo S10 wild rides, stock 5.3 shortblock - YouTube[/ame]

Was pm'ing with Dart 388 on the turbo forums. He is running a big block with a 9.3:1 compression ratio making 1464 rwhp on pump gas. He was telling me that he was running 7.7:1 compression ratio the car just felt weak compared to now....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgiDOrPVBZY&feature=related"]Matt's Turbo Dart - YouTube[/ame]

Was pm'ing with Dart 388 on the turbo forums. He is running a big block with a 9.3:1 compression ratio making 1464 rwhp on pump gas. He was telling me that he was running 7.7:1 compression ratio the car just felt weak compared to now....Matt's Turbo Dart - YouTube

That is a whole lot of power. Looked like it was going to swap around there for a split second.

Thanks guys, My goal is to run low 12 maybe hi 11s. I want a fairly smooth idle, and be able to run ac. Right now i have 3.91 gears and will probably be trading for some 3.25s when the turbo motor gets built. I have a tight 3500 converter, and was thinking about still using it, im just worried it might be too much stall with the turbo.
Do you guys think that the cast pistons will handle 8-10 psi ok? The pistons are down int the hole .085!!!!!!! So not much there to help the deck of the block was allready milled .015 to square everything up I did make a mistake on my math and the engine is right at 8.03 to 1, not much of an improvement.

Thanks guys, My goal is to run low 12 maybe hi 11s. I want a fairly smooth idle, and be able to run ac. Right now i have 3.91 gears and will probably be trading for some 3.25s when the turbo motor gets built. I have a tight 3500 converter, and was thinking about still using it, im just worried it might be too much stall with the turbo.
Do you guys think that the cast pistons will handle 8-10 psi ok? The pistons are down int the hole .085!!!!!!! So not much there to help the deck of the block was allready milled .015 to square everything up I did make a mistake on my math and the engine is right at 8.03 to 1, not much of an improvement.

With your math wouldnt .085 shaved off be over 9to1 ? Compression aside its still going to run hard. Cast pistons are fine until you go lean or have preignition Be conservitive and lift when it starts to rattle. I run cast pistons in my daily driver bug and so far so good for the last 20,000+ miles it has rattled and I do lift thats what has saved it so far.

Joe

That is a whole lot of power. Looked like it was going to swap around there for a split second.

After I saw this I started looking around and the stock bottem end LS 5.3 record has been 8.90s at 159+ not too shabby that sideways stuff at 130+ looks nutty!!! Enough traction to pull the wheels but not enough at 800feet YIKES!!!

After I saw this I started looking around and the stock bottem end LS 5.3 record has been 8.90s at 159+ not too shabby that sideways stuff at 130+ looks nutty!!! Enough traction to pull the wheels but not enough at 800feet YIKES!!!

Yeah that is why they make Adult Diapers "Depends" :D If you listen at the end he Stomps on the throtte again to keep it away from the wall.
It seems to come on real hard off the line with good traction like you are saying but then it just busts them loose out there a ways. I wonder if he is leaking something. Just a couple drops of any fluid would cause hella problems.

Yeah that is why they make Adult Diapers "Depends" :D If you listen at the end he Stomps on the throtte again to keep it away from the wall.
It seems to come on real hard off the line with good traction like you are saying but then it just busts them loose out there a ways. I wonder if he is leaking something. Just a couple drops of any fluid would cause hella problems.

Yeah no tellin, Drops of fluid, Tire grow who knows, There's a 5.3 turbo rx7 on YouTube that Blacktracks the whole way on huge rubber. I guess Chevy got it right for once Mopar bottem end and Ford heads nice little motor :)

With your math wouldnt .085 shaved off be over 9to1 ? Compression aside its still going to run hard. Cast pistons are fine until you go lean or have preignition Be conservitive and lift when it starts to rattle. I run cast pistons in my daily driver bug and so far so good for the last 20,000+ miles it has rattled and I do lift thats what has saved it so far.

Joe
No the pistons are down in the hole .085 still even after the .015 cut of the decks. What kind of bug do you have?

No the pistons are down in the hole .085 still even after the .015 cut of the decks. What kind of bug do you have?

So you have more that you can cut right??? I think I'm reading that right?
It's a 72 std beetle my daily driver. Some people cut the block enough to get the piston out of the block .005 to .008 into the head gasket, Really helps to get the compression up using flat tops.

So you have more that you can cut right??? I think I'm reading that right?
It's a 72 std beetle my daily driver. Some people cut the block enough to get the piston out of the block .005 to .008 into the head gasket, Really helps to get the compression up using flat tops.

Cool, I work on Bugs everyday, We build rails, bajas and other vw powered vehicles. We build custom beams, rear trailing arms, cages and a ton of other things.

I do have a set of h116cp pistons floating around that i could always use, but that would put the compression way up there for a turbo motor.

I tried to run a 7.823 to 1 360ci motor in a friends Duster. It had 2 T04s H3 trim turbos. It had atough time getting up on boost on the dyno but was better on the street/track because of wheel spin. I usually run a 750 and if I had my pick I would use a 650 over an 850. The logs at your level should work okay but a nice set of headers help with spool time and top end power. I think you mentioned a T70 turbo? Like in 70mm inlet? That sounds like overkill for the power level you are looking for. I have tried a single T04 on a 318 A body and it ran high elevens with ease. A T70 may take forever to spool depending on how its set up.

F
Cool, I work on Bugs everyday, We build rails, bajas and other vw powered vehicles. We build custom beams, rear trailing arms, cages and a ton of other things.

I do have a set of h116cp pistons floating around that i could always use, but that would put the compression way up there for a turbo motor.

Bugs are definitely cheap thrills, Trust everybody and do what you have to do to be around 9to1 you'll be happy you did, It's still all apart take your time you'll be pleased with the results :)

Well it looks like i will be trading some cage work for a turbo,New Borg/warner s475.
What y'all think about this turbo? Just have to bend up a 6pt cage for it.
Also I think i am going with a howards cam for this engine
specs are hydraulic flat tappet (226in at .050 .525 lift) 220ext at .050 .506 lift gound on a 113 lobe seperation angle 107ic.

Also wondering if I changed to a manual steering box, what manifolds fit the best? magnum manifolds from? or something else?

Well it looks like i will be trading some cage work for a turbo,New Borg/warner s475.
What y'all think about this turbo? Just have to bend up a 6pt cage for it.
Also I think i am going with a howards cam for this engine
specs are hydraulic flat tappet (226in at .050 .525 lift) 220ext at .050 .506 lift gound on a 113 lobe seperation angle 107ic.

Also wondering if I changed to a manual steering box, what manifolds fit the best? magnum manifolds from? or something else?

I dont know anything about that turbo so I would have to defer any commentary to someone who is familiar with it. I would go even smaller on the cam since you have no compression. Something in the high 2 teens at .050. Also I think Mad Dart used some Dakota headers that he turned around so they face forward. I think they were super cheap like $100.

-
Back