Retractable 3-point harness??

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some modern seat belts to put in my '70 Duster and came across these harnesses from Corbeau, they look pretty interesting...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Corbeau-3-Point-Retractable-Bolt-In-Harness/dp/B000FQ1QW0/ref=sr_1_40?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1339442748&sr=1-40&keywords=corbeau+seat+belts"]Amazon.com: Corbeau 2 Inch Black 3-Point Retractable Bolt-In Harness Belt: Automotive[/ame]

I know it's not recommended to run harnesses without a roll cage but these look like they would allow ample head movement in case of a rollover due to the 3-point design with the retractor at the top instead of the traditional 4-point type with the simple pull-straps that don't allow movement once tightened.

I was thinking of using the stock lap-belt mounting points for the bottom then mount the retractor at the stock shoulder-belt point; this way I don't have to make a new mounting point for "regular" 3-point belts to anchor the retractor down next to the back seat (don't really have access to welding/shop equipment at the moment). What are your feelings about this?

OK so after looking over my car it seems the stock shoulder-belt anchor is too far forward to work with these harnesses. I'm trying to get the rear sheetmetal panel off, how does it attach on the bottom? I took the three screws out but it still seems attached pretty firmly.

I'm willing to go with regular 3-point belts but I need to figure out how to make another mounting point for the retractor first... and to do that I need to get that damn inner panel off, any thoughts?

I just put a set of 3 point belts in my 70 dart . Bought from wesco No problems so far . A lot better than the lap belts they replace .

I made retractable 4 point set ups for street use out of two 3point setups from Wesco. But i do have a cage.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo461.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo463.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 121
-
Back