Retractor Seat Belt Clearance Issue

-

cuda dad

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the the retractor housing hitting the door panel and the hinge cover when closing the door. The belt is currently on the outside of the housing which I suspect is incorrect. I also found the seat studs spacers are missing. 1969 Barracuda with Front Bench Seat.

Yes pictures.
Maybe the seat stud spacers being absent ( bench sitting lower ) are sandwiching the retractor between the hinge cover and door panel. Does your retractor pivot forward/down when not in use?

Last edited:
It will pivot forward and down. I am now of the opinion that the seat belt retractor and belt assembly does belong on the outside of the plastic cover and once I raise the seat with the spacers the issue will be resolved.

I have 71’s so I imagine they are different from yours. ( can’t think of what 69 ply seatbelt retractors look like.)
Maybe the car was bucket seats before!
I think you are on the right “track”. (car seat dad joke) hope that works.

I wonder if the retractors are the same for bench and bucket and what the difference would be.

Aftermarket Belts have this issue!

It is worth every Penny to have decent factory units restored! Lesson learned!

I have kept my originals just in case. After 7 years +. Not so bad. When buckled up they pull away, but releasing them without caution they will hit.

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3472.JPG

Last edited:
A possibility. Im not sure, but something to investigate.
I looked real quick on line but no luck yet.

The belt is currently on the outside of the housing which I suspect is incorrect
If the belt look like the one on post 7 then it is normal

You can move the retractor a bit which will wind the belt up a bit more.

Oh no!!!
Dang! Too bad about the dent.
I dropped something from the attic in the garage today and put a dent in my trunk lid.‍Its in resto mode but still one more dent I have to fix. Serenity now!!! Its just a car.

I just looked at both my 71’s and they are the same as how you have yours in the photo.
The belt on the inside is correct.
Nice color!, my friend has a 66 Coronet and looks to be the same. EE1 blue his is.
Very nice color for a 69 barracuda.

Last edited:
The winding is not the issue, it's the housing. I need to go out to my storage tomorrow and check something out. I have been studying a lot of photos of other cars and I have hunch. I will share my findings tomorrow.

Here is how they are on my 1971 with no clearance issues.

image0.jpeg

67 Dart. Front bench seat.

56 years and 323,000 miles

Not a great design IMHO
PXL_20230205_004424409.jpg

PXL_20230205_004504020.jpg

PXL_20230205_004441452.jpg

The winding is not the issue, it's the housing. I need to go out to my storage tomorrow and check something out. I have been studying a lot of photos of other cars and I have hunch. I will share my findings tomorrow.
You are likely on it! The new stuff is slightly wider! Looks the Same but!

I will measure my originals tomorrow and report back.

68/69 are the same, 67 is totally different.

67’s are always different !!!
Makes me wonder why Chrysler went to so much trouble revamping alot and changing so much the next year!? Wtf?

67’s are always different !!!
Makes me wonder why Chrysler went to so much trouble revamping alot and changing so much the next year!? Wtf?
Gov. mandated seat belts and side marker light for starters. Idler arm just sucked I guess. Horsepower war.

Original is about an 1/8 " thinner. They also have a compound bend in them the reproduction ones do not have. Passenger side is the top one pictured. Belt to the outside.

Obviously I have mine in backwards based on the bolt markings from the originals at the mount location. This would likely give an extra inch of room.

Hope it helps and assume the Bench seat outer belts are the same as buckets.

IMG_3476.JPG

Oh no!!!
Dang!
I just looked at both my 71’s and they are the same as how you have yours in the photo.
The belt on the inside is correct.
Nice color!, my friend has a 66 Coronet and looks to be the same. EE1 blue his is.
Very nice color for a 69 barracuda.
I am not yet convinced about the belt on inside being correct. I have been looking at a bunch of cars and most have the belt on the outside!

Original is about an 1/8 " thinner. They also have a compound bend in them the reproduction ones do not have. Passenger side is the top one pictured. Belt to the outside.

Obviously I have mine in backwards based on the bolt markings from the originals at the mount location. This would likely give an extra inch of room.

Hope it helps and assume the Bench seat outer belts are the same as buckets.

View attachment 1716044734
I think we are on to something now!

Driver side pictured. Note the original has a slight twist near the middle and a bend at mount hole. My originals were dyed and painted black.

Which is why I replaced them.

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

Mine are installed correctly but there are no bends in them. Another thing tha I need to consider, I have not seen any bench seat cars. My '71 Duster did not have retractors and I wonder if a bench seat '69 Barracuda should even have them. Here is a pic of my Duster.

s-l1600 (10).jpg

I couldn’t find any photos of bench Barracuda’s for that year.
I was wondering about options or standard on the bench also.
Mostly buckets.

-
Back