Retrofit LED Taillights

-

sean

Reaction score
Any one know of a vendor for LEDs for a '67 'Cuda? Has anyone on here done this? Do you have any pointers or tips you could share?
Thanks, Sean

I would like to do the same in my 1971 Duster...

you can buy led cluster bulbs that fit the original sockets. Where my lenses were darkened from age I added 2 more sockets to each fixture. It is a huge fixture and lens for only the one bulb and its bright spot is blocked out too.
The tricky part was placing the sockets so they clear the fixture supports.
More details if this is something you want to do.

The additional sockets and 1157 bulbs worked great for my goal. Wife had gotten a warning ticket for no rear lights. Washing the inside of the lens and improving the reflective inner side of the fixture help too.

you can buy led cluster bulbs that fit the original sockets. Where my lenses were darkened from age I added 2 more sockets to each fixture. It is a huge fixture and lens for only the one bulb and its bright spot is blocked out too.
The tricky part was placing the sockets so they clear the fixture supports.
More details if this is something you want to do.

This sounds pretty interesting. You mind giving some details? Go slow and use small words, I'm not much for electrical work. Well, that and installing dash vents, LOL.:-D Looking at my tail light housings, (71 Scamp), it looks like you could double up on sockets if you angle them off to the side.

I added bulb sockets to 67 cuda fixtures. I dont know about other fixtures.
The first thing you'll need to do is make sure there is clearance for the bulb inside the fixture and it doesn't get too close to the plastic lens. 3/4 inch is minimum. 1157 bulbs get hot and the 2157 (brighter and longer life) get even hotter.
Electrical is simple enough. Brown wires are park lamp and yellow or green is brake/turn.

I used a set of LED bulbs that had a ring of LED's around the perimeter on the side of the bulbs.
LEDBulbs-vi.jpg

This threw light in 2 directions.... making it rather decent to see.

SANY0014-vi.jpg

Plus I have an LED third brake light hanging in the rear window....
SANY0016-vi.jpg

Word of advice: Make sure you wire in an electronic flasher relay or your new LED's won't be worth a damn.... They wire right into the exsisting 2 wires you have now and the only modification is adding a ground wire to the relay. That's it.

BTW: I installed a set of Amber bulbs up front and red in the back. Total investment was about $25. The electronic flashers I pulled out of some dead Maxima's at my old job. Any 3 wire flashers will work. Works for me so far....

I used a set of LED bulbs that had a ring of LED's around the perimeter on the side of the bulbs.
LEDBulbs-vi.jpg

This threw light in 2 directions.... making it rather decent to see.

SANY0014-vi.jpg

Plus I have an LED third brake light hanging in the rear window....
SANY0016-vi.jpg

Word of advice: Make sure you wire in an electronic flasher relay or your new LED's won't be worth a damn.... They wire right into the exsisting 2 wires you have now and the only modification is adding a ground wire to the relay. That's it.

BTW: I installed a set of Amber bulbs up front and red in the back. Total investment was about $25. The electronic flashers I pulled out of some dead Maxima's at my old job. Any 3 wire flashers will work. Works for me so far....

But did you notice a difference in the intensity of the lights? ANd did it light up the white portion of your taillights as well?

Let us know John...

I've seen spider/octopus style lights as well.

They have spring loaded bars that you fold put the light in and they spring out to spread more light.

Thank Guys I have a good idea of what I'll be doing now. I really appreciate the help and tips.

-
Back