Retrofitting bucket seat back locks

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
I just picked up a nice set of 1966- 67 style low back bucket seats for my dart. I'm curious if anyone has tried to put seat back locks on this year seat frame. I think 1968 was the first year of government mandated seat locks.thanks!

Hi there, let me know how you get on as I have the same issue with my 67 Dart GT seat. I have headrests but still to figure out a lock. Andy

Probably easiest to get newer seat frames but I suppose you could fabricate the locks from most any bucket seat into your frames.
I kinda like not having the locks myself. Just one of those little things not to be bothered with when you go to fold a seat forward. Only takes one hand.
I like the older cars without the shoulder belts best also. Never did like the belts hanging from the headliner.
I do see the merits of a lap belt though to keep you from sliding out of driving position like your in an old pickup. Particularly with a manual transmission car.
Of course I'm talking about street cars here. Not race cars and a safety harness.

I've got a very rough set of 69 buckets in the attic somewhere, maybe I'll try to reverse engineer something. I get the feeling what fits on the 69 buckets won't clear the metal backs and side panels on the 67 style seats.

might be easier to use 68/9 seats and have a shop custom make a new cover that resembles the 67 type pattern.

That is what I plan to do in my 67 Barracuda. I already have some 68 seats in there and someday when I get to it, I am going to use the 67 pattern and make a cover to fit the later seat.

downside is the metal backs will go away but they are bulky anyways

might be easier to use 68/9 seats and have a shop custom make a new cover that resembles the 67 type pattern.

That is what I plan to do in my 67 Barracuda. I already have some 68 seats in there and someday when I get to it, I am going to use the 67 pattern and make a cover to fit the later seat.

downside is the metal backs will go away but they are bulky anyways

I cant imagine a downside to loosing the sheet metal seat backs.
If I ever get to this project I'll need to butcher a pair of these backs to install the latch/release mechanisms I've chosen ( went for maximum chrome/bling ). Meanwhile, I don't dare sell the extra backs I have. Good luck to all

-
Back