Retrosound

-

Yes, I have and these are total JUNK. They look nice once installed but they don't last for crap. My first one, yes I am on my second one, didn't last but may a week or two then it quit, Retro sent a replacement and that lasted about 10 usages and now it doesn't even turn on. I said usages because I only drive my car about 10-20 times a year due to always doing things, brake conversion, new crate engine, gear changes etc. So the radion hasn't seen 20 hours of use and it is crap.
Stay awayfrom them, IMHO. :wack:

Wow, glad I asked, is there an alternative to these that doesn't require cutting up my dash? Not that I'm opposed to it if I must but if I dont have to, thats the way for me

I donot know of any, off hand, but I am sure there is. By the way there was minor cutting with the Retro. It is to bad they don't live up to the hype. I will find something else eventually, till then I can sing, maybe not, I can always whistle a tune.

Good luck.

Wow, glad I asked, is there an alternative to these that doesn't require cutting up my dash? Not that I'm opposed to it if I must but if I dont have to, thats the way for me
Yeah leave your stock one in factory place and use a truck mounted system (outta sight outta mind).

^agreed put one in the trunk, glove box or make a custom mount to go under the dash(what im going to do) then if you dont want two radios take out the original and just make a plate to cover the hole.

I went out and took a couple quick shots with the camera phone on my set up.
I got the under dash radio housing kit I got from a local car audio shop and then cut it in half so it would fit a little better and not interfere with the defroster hose's and console. Then I just used some existing holes in the dash to screw it to.
It's not professional but it works.

Attachments

• IMG00048-20111010-1349.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG00049-20111010-1350.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 342
Yeah I was thinking of making a custom console and putting it under the dash. But I have a 74 duster a/c car and I am keeping the a/c. The problem is the vents are under the dash mount. I am a little worried about it getting in the way. I am planning to use the console as a plenum or make some kind of bracket and duct the vents to the sides. So maybe I can figure something out. Unfortunately I have the dash out right now so i cant mock anything up yet. All I really want is a FM radio and an auxillary input, I dont really listen to cds anymore

I use SecretAudio and left my original radio in place. Works great for me. Go Custom Auto Sound and click on Secretaudio, Joe

custom auto sound is junk, the head unit died the day the warranty expired and the cd died while under warranty, total crap

Scampy, I think thats what I am going to do. I think I will cover over the factory radio slot. But if I decide to cut my dash does anyone have any ideas for bracing the receiver so it doesnt tear up the dash?

Just another option..
www.DeMonDIN.com
I'm considering an alternative center console. I like the Dodge Caliber console with tho lighted cup holders.

I sent my '69 thumbwheel out and had electronic guts put in. Have not installed yet,but I'm told they work great.

I don't own a RetroSound but I know a mustang owner who has one and it is currently a non-working space filler in her car.

-
Back