Return to sender.....address.....

-

highflyer

Reaction score
UNKNOWN...cause I never had to do it ,,but I do now...can I ..has anyone removed the sender and cleaned a tank[while still in the car] in a 73 duster..i really don't want to remove the tank.but I do want to clean it..any thots...tx..j

Very Easy to drop, use air ratchet to loosen the straps, put a floor jack under there and disconect the lines, You have to drop it for that sending unit, was probably the hardest, gettn the seal straight or it will leak, I washed my tank out with soap and water, You really need to get the rust and particles out of it, Worst Case you find out you need new tank LOL good luck

If you want to clean the tank out you will need to drop the tank. The hardest part about it is getting the gas out. They are easy to drop.

Just drop the tank,its a pain the get sender gasket and lock right working on your back.I just siphon the gas out before I drop them.

I think the pain is getting the fuel filler gasket right but i dont think thats all that hard either, it just pushes in. I did a sender without dropping the tank and about passed out as the fumes are heavier than air and literally roll out of the tank onto your face while under there, unpleasant, unsafe.

ok I was hopeing to do it easy...so if that's the case then ill have top order a new filler neck seal also?????...j

ok I was hopeing to do it easy...so if that's the case then ill have top order a new filler neck seal also?????...j

DON'T REPLACE THE LOCK RING for the sending unit with a new one.

The new ones are made of thinner steel and won't seal the sending unit. Re-use the old one.

Well...I finally got to taking out my S/Unit ..it was easy and for what I wanted to do,i didnt drop the tank..plenty of room in there..problems don't go away tho..must be the 40 year old thing..when I took the sender out,the strainer crumbeled in my hand..cant seem to find one...not a new problem,but what are others replacing it with..went to 4 different places plus a dodge dealer..any help please..tx..j

You really need to drop the tank, or you are wasting your time.

Drop it, throw in a few small to medium size stones, a small piece of small chain etc., pour in some non flammable solvent and have someone help you shake it around, rinse repeat.

This will knock loose any scaly buildup and clean it fairly well. Install it back and put in a new sending unit WITH ground strap and you will have many smiles per gallon.

Of course this is dependent on the external condition of the tank, if there are any signs of rust build up to the point of breaking through then replace the tank, they aren't that expensive.

You really need to drop the tank, or you are wasting your time.

Drop it, throw in a few small to medium size stones, a small piece of small chain etc., pour in some non flammable solvent and have someone help you shake it around, rinse repeat.

This will knock loose any scaly buildup and clean it fairly well. Install it back and put in a new sending unit WITH ground strap and you will have many smiles per gallon.

Of course this is dependent on the external condition of the tank, if there are any signs of rust build up to the point of breaking through then replace the tank, they aren't that expensive.

X2 on that as well. Your tank is over 40 years old. I've never regretted changing a tank yet on any of our cars. Some were so badly scaled that we had repeat problems until we replaced them, but now is the time to clean the one you've got (at the very least). I tend to opt for a new tank if the old ones look very bad.

thanks guys..you all gotta remember its a cali car..no rust tank included..beeeeutiful ...no rust or scale on the out or in..no loose rust specks..id be throwing my money away if I replaced it..i got in there and sucked all the fuel out 1.5 gallons and not a speck..put a mirror in there with a flashlite and its in nice shape...a small dent or two tho..I just have to find a new prophalactic for it...lol...thanks for all the help..j

-
Back