Reuse windshield weatherstrip?

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
If I remove my windshield and the weatherstrip is in good shape, can I reuse it? It's the type with the locking strip. Just want to know what to plan on when I remove the windshield for some other repairs.

Ok first it's called a gasket. Yes they can be reused and they fit better than most repops but....
cleaning one is a time consuming chore. We lay them on a table and work with charcoal lighter fluid, plastic ( pic-nic ) knives and rags. You should find some grayish window glazing putty in the glass channel and butyl sealant in the body channel.
A friend of mine thought he would take a shortcut. He submerced his Chevy pickup window gasket in a 5 gal. bucket with kerosene for several days. That gasket grew so big it would fit a school bus. LOL

So if it is cleaned properly, I just reinstall the gasket and reuse the same locking strip? Any issues with sealing back up if you follow the normal steps you would with a new one?

Yep, installs with the same sealants just like new. Only difference between do-it-yerself and hirring a pro is who is responcable if it leaks.
One thing though... you're gonna find 2 little tangs stamped out from the cowl that hold the front window gasket in place. Fill those holes left from their stamping with all metal or something. There are pics of what I'm refering to in a thread here somewhere.

-
Back