reuseing press in wheel studs

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I would drive em out & drive em in the wheel flanges on the other set of axles that I would be useing or should I buy new ones (7/16 from Mancini). thank you for your time. RR

As long as they go back in snug you should be good. Hit back of stud with a quick tack from migwelder.

I have done both. But I'm a LH thread guy so some times I don't have a choice.

The worst that can happen

1. The stud will rotate in the future
  2. The stud was damaged removing or installing and will fail

If this is for your roundy-round dirt track car, I'd skip the 7/16 studs and tap the axle holes for 1/2-20 screw-in studs. They'll still fit in the steel wheels.
The stud's shoulder diameter is different (bigger) for the front, not sure how you'd want to do it up there.

For a street car, I have had no problem swapping out and re-using rear axle studs. I've also re-used the KH front wheel studs if they haven't been staked. For front studs that have been, I prefer to use new.

I agree. I'd upgrade to a 1/2-20 stud, for sure. Screw-in is a nice choice.

But if you're gonna pound em out, and re-use, get a regular wheel nut, thread it on the stud but leave the nut high enough that you hit the nut, not the stud.

5/8" Studs front and back. Coarse thread is more popular at the dirt tracks around here. It's not just a bigger stud, the lugnuts are bigger too.

Edited to say 5/8" instead of 1/2".

Last edited:
I agree with not reusing them. They're just so cheap and you don't know how much they've been rapped on and stretched by impact guns over the years. If you're removing them, I'd replace them.

Has anyone had a stud or lug nut fail just driving around? In over 50 years in the auto repair industry, I've never seen it happen. The only time I've ever seen it is when someone overtightened one, left them loose, or, a totally rusted one that wrung off during removal.

Has anyone had a stud or lug nut fail just driving around? In over 50 years in the auto repair industry, I've never seen it happen. The only time I've ever seen it is when someone overtightened one, left them loose, or, a totally rusted one that wrung off during removal.
I've seen it happen, but not had it happen to me.

He is using them on a circle track car. The wheels will be taken on and off, slid sideways through corners at a high rate of speed, (sometimes on tracks with deep ruts) and ran into by other cars on a regular basis. It's a different world than running them on the street. There is a reason circle track hubs and axles come with 5/8" studs.

Last edited:
good info, alright guys I am convinced, I will upgrade these axles to 1/2" studs. thank you! Ron White is quite a character. RR

Street car stud (1/2") on top and circle track (5/8") on bottom.

20240315_125102.jpg

-
Back