Rev limit of a S6

-

senk04SRT

Reaction score
What's goin on guys. I have a 225 S6 laying around, and I've been thinking about ditching my built 340 and build a stroked/boosted Slant. To figure out the powerband and match up a decent turbo I was wondering what RPM the 225 is maxed at. I have a GTS-61 Dual Ball Bearing turbo (equivilant to a 60 trim) I was planning to use for this project. On my 2.4L 4cyl I hit full boost at 4500 rpm, but my motor redlined at 6250rpm. At 6000 I pulled 496WHP/428WTQ on a 4cyl, so granted another two cylinders would spool the turbo faster if the rpm band is around 6k. Not sure if there's anyone on here with turbo knowledge, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

What's goin on guys. I have a 225 S6 laying around, and I've been thinking about ditching my built 340 and build a stroked/boosted Slant.

Why would you ditch a 340??? Put the turbo on it and blow doors!

Why would you ditch a 340??? Put the turbo on it and blow doors!
I've though about it, but I want to build a unique setup. Power to weight ratio would be better than a 340. Plus, the S6 is a freakin tank. I haven't see too many 10/9 sec slants, and that is exactally my goal.

They've gone "elephant hunting" slants have broken into the nines!
I'm well aware, what I was trying to say is that most people build up V8's. I like to be apart from the crowd and have something different than everyone else! What's more kickass than a 6cyl car that goes 9's all day long.

a turbo'd 340 would be plenty unique!! but yeah, a slant six built like that would be sweet..

My point exactly!

to answer your ? top redline is about 5200 rpm and trust me it sounds like its coming apart at 4500:snakeman: but i know a GT30r spools quite hard on 3.8L so it should be good on a 3.7L

What's goin on guys. I have a 225 S6 laying around, and I've been thinking about ditching my built 340 and build a stroked/boosted Slant. To figure out the powerband and match up a decent turbo I was wondering what RPM the 225 is maxed at. I have a GTS-61 Dual Ball Bearing turbo (equivilant to a 60 trim) I was planning to use for this project. On my 2.4L 4cyl I hit full boost at 4500 rpm, but my motor redlined at 6250rpm. At 6000 I pulled 496WHP/428WTQ on a 4cyl, so granted another two cylinders would spool the turbo faster if the rpm band is around 6k. Not sure if there's anyone on here with turbo knowledge, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

coool... I like it!!
rather than bury you with Turbo math, here's (IMHO) a great, if not the best "plug and play" turbo spread sheet around.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/

also here's some more "leaning tower of power" turbo info

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/turbo-article/turbo-article.htm

enjoy!

Stock rod Slants turn 6500 all day long with the right cam/headwork.

There have actually been quite a few Slants in the 9/10 second range, in all different kinds of configurations.

Stock rod Slants turn 6500 all day long with the right cam/headwork.

can anyone verify this, or list a few references to people/shops that made a beastly S6?

I meant to call clifford performance today to explain to them my goals, and see if they could help out at all. Any feedback from this company?

can anyone verify this, or list a few references to people/shops that made a beastly S6?

I meant to call clifford performance today to explain to them my goals, and see if they could help out at all. Any feedback from this company?

slantzilla does not need verification! He had a slant run 12.01 on spray. Stay away from clifford,the father was the man,he died and the son is a jackass who runs the show now.Check out slantsix.org those guys know their slants.

Stay away from clifford,the father was the man,he died and the son is a jackass who runs the show now.Check out slantsix.org those guys know their slants.

I would have to agree, check out Slant six.org I did have a turbo on my slant six although I have recently taken it off. I had a T3/T4 hybrid. 50 trim compressor and .63 stage 3 turbine side. I never been so fast in a slant six car it easily went 135mph on the freeway with 3.23 gears. I blew through a Holley 450cfm which was the wrong carb to use. I am going to put turbo back on but it will probably have fuel injection when I do. I have the fuel injection setup but not the time to install it.

I have heard,the 170 will spin 8000 rpm's all day long,I heard people using the 198 rods for their builds but I'm in the gathering parts and info stage of my slanty build for "waggin II" the car will be built with a 440 at first but at the same time it will be fitted for small block and the slanty "mill"moo-lah is a lil' tight right now so I'll build with what I have layin around for now.

sleeper.JPG

wheelie bars.JPG

I have heard,the 170 will spin 8000 rpm's all day long,I heard people using the 198 rods for their builds but I'm in the gathering parts and info stage of my slanty build for "waggin II" the car will be built with a 440 at first but at the same time it will be fitted for small block and the slanty "mill"moo-lah is a lil' tight right now so I'll build with what I have layin around for now.

Don't think I would turn 8,000 rpm, but my 170 has turned 7,200 on occasion. 198 rods are used with a 225 crank and 2.2 pistons, to give you a "long rod" combo. There are better rods available, now, from K-1. Same length as the 198 rod, but lighter, stronger, and close to the same pricing as obtaining 198 rods, and haveing them properly prepared.

Thanks for the kind words Grinder.

My motor uses the 198 rods/2.2 turbo pistons, and a 225 crank. I normally shift it at 6200, but have shifted at 6500+ many times. It really doesn't need to go that high though, it does not go any faster.

My next motor for the Daytona will use stock 225 rods. They are .300" shorter than the 198 rods, and will live at a 6700 shift point.

The idea that a 170 will turn 8000 is more myth than reality. The NASCAR compacts redlined at 5800.

Thanks for the kind words Grinder.

My motor uses the 198 rods/2.2 turbo pistons, and a 225 crank. I normally shift it at 6200, but have shifted at 6500+ many times. It really doesn't need to go that high though, it does not go any faster.

My next motor for the Daytona will use stock 225 rods. They are .300" shorter than the 198 rods, and will live at a 6700 shift point.

The idea that a 170 will turn 8000 is more myth than reality. The NASCAR compacts redlined at 5800.
Thanks for everyones input.

And slantzilla, I wasn't trying to offend you when asking for verification. I had no knowledge of your credentials! Btw, which block are you using. And if you don't mind me asking what type of head work are you running, and fuel/intake?

My turbo'd stock slant slant 6 is done at 4500rpm which is where I shift. I use an 87 Buick turbo and 21psi of boost (I've since oring'd the block and used a copper head gasket) the combo was good for 12.95 @ 104mph.

Thanks for everyones input.

And slantzilla, I wasn't trying to offend you when asking for verification. I had no knowledge of your credentials! Btw, which block are you using. And if you don't mind me asking what type of head work are you running, and fuel/intake?

No problem.

I have a 1970 198 block. There is absolutely no difference between the 198 and 225 blocks except the ci stamp on them.

The one place I spend some money is on the head. I use the late model heads because they do not have the spark plug tubes in them. Mike Jeffrey in Lexington, NE does the work. One head I have is a street head with SB Ford valves and minimal porting. My "race" head has somewhat more work done and has Ferrea valves. Neither head is gasket matched.

Porting is an area where a lot of people get in trouble with a Slant. Bigger is not always better, and can destroy low speed flow just as easily as help.

I also run a lot of camshaft. N/A and nitrous Slants love a lot of lift and duration. It seems the more I throw at it the better it likes it. My current one is an old Clifford that is 300*/.558". My next motor will get more.

also here's some more "leaning tower of power" turbo info

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/turbo-article/turbo-article.htm

enjoy!

I am the current owner of the turbo setup in that article, or what's left of it now. It didn't turn out as well as the article suggests - the manifold eventually cracked, for one thing. While the turbo didn't break off, it would have have shortly after I put the manifold out to pasture; an autopsy on the manifold showed that it was cracked about 2/3 of the way through. And the K-car turbo is way too small for serious power.

Right now I've been in the (way too slow) process of building a new turbo six with a much larger turbo. This time I'm starting with a new stock manifold and using a J-shaped pipe off the manifold to a turbo mounted where the battery used to be. The turbo will be supported by a bracket and there's a flex coupler in the J-pipe so the exhaust won't support the weight of the turbo. Unfortunately I've got too much going on in my life right now and the Dart's been on back burner for a while.

-
Back