Reverse lights

-

Mopar85

Reaction score
I bought a new NSS and installed it with a new pig tail in my 73 duster and the reverse lights do not work. The car has all painless wiring, MSD Ignition to go with the 440 cid motor and a 727 transmission. i used a multi meter on the switch and it is working fine but i think the comb (not sure if that is the correct term) on the inside of the tranny is wore down. is this a common problem or am i overlooking something?
Can someone point me in the right direction?

If you have power going in the switch and power comming out when in the reverse position, everything at the trans' is working. The problem would be between the outgiong side of that switch and the bulbs.

I've tested everything in the circuit wires, sensor and bulbs. It has current through the circuit and works when I remove the sensor and press it manually. The issue is in the transmission where the comb rakes across the sensor.

I really dont think it's possible to wear out the comb. It could be the wrong comb installed , one from an earlier trans.

There were a few different switches used. I don't remember the year breaks on them but is it possible the switch is not the right year for the trans, or maybe the valve body has been swapped out for a radically different year valve body?

Have you tried touching the reverse switch wires (the outer wires on the switch) together to see if they activate the lights?

........if u have the 3 wire switch u need a 69 up rooster comb....it has the plastic over the metal..................kim............

It is a 3 wire switch and it does work when i connect the two outer wires. has anyone heard of this kind of problem before? and where could i find a new comb for the transmission?

I put a 66 904 in a 80 Aspen. Removed the 1 wire switch and replaced it with a 3 wire. The reverse lamps stayed on in all gears but park. Now I was told that there are 2 lengths of 3 wire switches and I needed the longer one. Is this true? I never confirmed this with anyone and never did anything about it as the car was just for drag racing and we removed the bulbs. The neutral safety was all we really cared about and it worked.

-
Back