Reverse linkage issues?

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

A833 4 speed, non OD. 73 Duster 340.

Just setting up and testing my linkages here. When I shift to reverse the 3/4 gear linkage moves as well? If I unhook the reverse linkage I can get 1/2 and 3/4 normally. I had taken apart the hurst shifter and cleaned it up a few months ago, maybe I didn’t put it back together correctly?

A55FFD1F-A309-43EB-886B-5B5357D4DAEB.jpeg

3F9E811C-A979-4039-91A2-A9C2BBF9DB8A.jpeg

Did you align the shifter with a 1/4" pin before setting up your rod linkage? (Blue arrow) Also your second pic shows no washers or clips?

A55FFD1F-A309-43EB-886B-5B5357D4DAEB.jpg

Did you align the shifter with a 1/4" pin before setting up your rod linkage? (Blue arrow) Also your second pic shows no washers or clips?

View attachment 1716113621
I think the reverse rod is connected backwards. I think the fastening nut should be on top and the linkage rod on the bottom if memory serves me correctly. Found a pic.....Wow.....I'm an idiot......I see my pic has the reverse rod exactly how yours is in the picture you posted.

Shifter LinkageJPG.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I aligned everything in neutral first (with a pin). I will check the reverse rod position again. I didn't bother with the clips yet as everything will be coming right back off once I set it.

I had a similar issue with mine. Brass bushings were worn and linkage was sloppy. Installed new bushing kit ,washers and spring clips.
Pinned the shifter and adjusted rods. Shifts mint!

looks like it's in reverse, reverse arm is not in line with other shift arms. pin has to pass through all 3 levers first. just food for thought.

-
Back