Reviving a 360

-

73-Duster

Reaction score
So I'm buying a 1976 D300 with a 360 and a 4sp manual trans and the plan is to put them in my 73 Duster currently equipped with a 198 /6. This thread will mainly be my progress and any questions I have and general 360 converstion. So next Saturday I plan on getting it. The guy I am buying it from hasn't had it running, but sent me a video of it running the day before he bought it a few months ago. I am hoping to get it running before I buy it so I know for a fact it is a solid engine. The tank is missing so I will bring a gas can, battery starter fluid (obviously) anything else you guys can think of? would it be worth it to stop at an auto parts store and get some new plugs?
00909_i7659EBujrb_600x450.jpg

If its only been sitting a few months it should start fairly easy. Fresh gas and a good cranking speed are a must. Id pass on the plugs, they should be fine. Try to gravity feed the carb or fill it through the vent to speed up the process.

If its only been sitting a few months it should start fairly easy. Fresh gas and a good cranking speed are a must. Id pass on the plugs, they should be fine. Try to gravity feed the carb or fill it through the vent to speed up the process.

before the last time it started it was roughly 15 years.

That would be a whole different situation requiring different action.

That's not bad for a complete motor with accessory's. plus what you can get back, You should be in it for very little.

if the grill is any good - that alone is a hundred bucks (and maybe more)... so I'm thinking you're going to have to tear down the engine anyway - after sitting that long, even if it does run (which I wouldn't even try), it'll need some attention.. if it were me, I'd give the man his 300, get it home and go from there. Part it out after you take what you want - I bet you'll make $$.

Take a picture of the dash gauges, I may buy some parts off of you.

So did it run a few months ago...and how good? Or 15 years ago?

The last owner sent a video to the current owner of it running the day before he bought it so if the guy was a real scumbag it could have been from a few years ago or longer. However I think it is recent because the truck looks the same...but who knows. I trust the current owner but all my doubts come from two owners ago

Take a picture of the dash gauges, I may buy some parts off of you.

Awesome pm me and we can work out whatever you need (as long as it's on the truck lol)

if the grill is any good - that alone is a hundred bucks (and maybe more)... so I'm thinking you're going to have to tear down the engine anyway - after sitting that long, even if it does run (which I wouldn't even try), it'll need some attention.. if it were me, I'd give the man his 300, get it home and go from there. Part it out after you take what you want - I bet you'll make $$.

I was planning on a rebuilt either way... Since I plan on rebuilding it anyway wouldn't it be worth it to try and make it run for negotiating purposes? ( that is as long as it turns reasonably easy by hand) as for the give the man the 300 NO WAY!!! I'm sorry but I'm the type of person who will go to preaty extreme lengths to save or make a buck:realcrazy: (broke high school kid lol)

Unless there's a hole in the block, you should have no problem getting it running.
$300 for the whole truck - I'd do it in a heart beat.

Jeff

I cleaned it out this morning.

I think that tranny is an NP435
You can make that tranny fit your car by cutting the floor up pretty bad.And the rear crossmember. I think the shifter will come up through the dash and end up close to the mirror.
The ratios in it are for a grain truck. It has an un-synchronized granny gear in it that is somewhere between 6:1 and 10:1 IIRC. It is an agonizingly slow shifting unit, cuz the guts, like the case weigh about double of an A833. The splits in it are for a truck. It is a truck tranny.
The pressure plate is an 11 inch tank of a thing, suitable for low rpm operation and towing stuff. IIRC the bellhouse is cast iron. The tail on it may still have remnants of a parking brake on it, and you can bolt a PTO on the side and use it to operate any hydraulics you have in mind. The M/S weighs about as much as my wife did when I met her. But that's OK it's only about a foot and a half long.
If you need help rebuilding it call me, I have built hundreds of those. Many hundreds.

In the unlikely event that it is an A833.........SCORE!

Last edited:
-
Back