Rewiring the ENTIRE car...

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi

Some of you might have seen my '66 dart project in the other thread. I'm just about to install the motor back into the car after removing ALL the old wires before starting the restoration process. After that, im gonna send the car to my local electrical workshop to redo the wiring on the car.

Now Ive got a question on those black boxy stuff that are screwed/bolted onto the bulkhead, i think they are the Voltage Regulator and Starter Relay? Is it necessary to get the exact ones that came with the car? or any starter relay or voltage regulator will do? I asked coz I live in Malaysia, and it is almost impossible to get parts for american cars...

Of course If i really have to, I can order one from Ebay...

Thanks.

Syed
Malaysia

You COULD conceivably adapt something:

Starter relay:

Differences are mounting flange, and 3 or 4 terminal

4 terminal has the "big stud" used as a connection terminal and is one contact

"Square" terminal is other contact, goes to starter solenoid

Two "push on" terminals are the relay coil, one goes to "start" from ignition, other goes to ground through neutral safety switch IF you have auto trans

Three terminal units simply "factory ground" the 4th terminal, are for stick shift cars

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

REGULATOR:

In general you could adapt a LOT of different regulators with a little rewireing, because the Chrysler units are the simplest there are---you simply have:

A "good ground" to the regulator case

An ignition connection, which provides field current and "voltage sense"

An output to the field, which of course is regulated to control voltage.

In the case of the 1970 --and later -- "isolated field" (also called "dual field) units, Chrysler simply changed the regulator so that the regulation was in the ground lead of the alternator.

-
Back