rewiring under hood harness

-

Paul Davidson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rewiring my 67 barracuda and i need some info before i start.
First off I'm thinking about running a one wire alternator
But if i don't should i use the old style regulator of a electronic one
Next is the fusible link or fuse for main power going into the car and what size fuse
I'm running a Dakota mini starter what size wires should i run for power and solenoid

thank you for all the help

No need to do anything different for the starter

Alternator, many guys on here know I do not particularly care for "one wire." However if you DO so you MUST greatly oversize the charge wire, because it is also the sense wire. There is no possible way that the factory wiring is good enough for a one wire. Are you bypassing the ammeter? (I hope?)

The OEM fuse/ fuse link were a VERY poor design. You need to have wiring large enough to handle the absolute max of the alternator, and a fuse large enough to handle the alternator, yet small enough to protect the wire/ harness.

No need to do anything different for the starter

Alternator, many guys on here know I do not particularly care for "one wire." However if you DO so you MUST greatly oversize the charge wire, because it is also the sense wire. There is no possible way that the factory wiring is good enough for a one wire. Are you bypassing the ammeter? (I hope?)

The OEM fuse/ fuse link were a VERY poor design. You need to have wiring large enough to handle the absolute max of the alternator, and a fuse large enough to handle the alternator, yet small enough to protect the wire/ harness.
I have Crackbacks alternator wire so that should be good it has a built in fuseable link the fuse I'm wondering about is battery power going into the car also I don't have the cable going to the starter and was wondering what size wire the starter requires

-
Back