RH valve body in RE trans?

-

dragbaron

Reaction score
Just wondering if it's possible. I'm pretty sure the rest of these transmissions are basically the same.

I have an '91 Dakota (5.2 TBI) with A500 trans that destroyed the OD clutch pack(and actually damaged the tail housing). I am swapping a '97 5.2 magnum into this truck and have the trans with it(44RE). I'm using a '92 Dakota harness, so I still need a RH trans. I thought of the possibility of putting the A500 valve body in the 44RE trans, just not 100% sure it would work.

I figured since everything involving the RH vs the RE is valve body related, that maybe they could be swapped. If not, I did just pick up a '92 A518(46RH) to rebuild.

They are not. I have examined the main cases enough to know that the passages are different. "I thought" I found there is a manual only VB avail for an RE, along with the advanced shift kit from transgo

Also, the Re does not have a governor This is electronic

I totally forgot about them going from governor weights to a governor solenoid. That kills that idea!

On the plus side, I tore down the '92 A518 today and it looks great. Probably had no issues and would've worked fine, but getting it from a junkyard you just never know.

-
Back