Rib pattern intake floor

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the "purpose/reason" for the floor of this LD340 is? I was going to clean it up and noticed the pattern.
Thanks
Steve

20230304_153807.jpg

I'm guessing for the exhaust crossover. More surface area to heat the plenum.

Guessing fuel re atomizer for fuel on the floor.
Some single planes have an exh crossover and yet have no parameter ribbing directly under the carb.
So re atomizer and maybe a trough even to control any tendencies of flowing down the hill. Let me know when we get some accredited literary proof.

Thanks guys, I'm tending to agree with it being a trap for the heavier droplets. Fully boxed in for that purpose?

It keeps fuel from pooling up in the bottom of the plenum and causing hard starts when hot.

This conversation makes me think...

Would a properly designed internal surface of the runners increase atomization without the expense of flow?

Who knows if the ribbed floor helps(I think it does), but I am assuming all intakes would have this "issue" at varying degrees. Whether single, dual, tr, 6pk etc. I'm assuming...
This conversation makes me think...

Would a properly designed internal surface of the runners increase atomization without the expense of flow?

Runner ribbing would make the runner think it's smaller just like a rough finish. It would have to be increased in volume.
If it was the case... they probably would have figured it out and re designed it like that... so I'm saying nope.

-
Back