Richard Petty

-
Linda Petty was the "glue" that held the family together and made it function over the years, she has recently been diagnosed with cancer and losing her memory :sad5:

Attachments

• Richard-Petty.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 379
Linda Petty was the "glue" that held the family together and made it function over the years, she has recently been diagnosed with cancer and losing her memory :sad5:

That's a shame to hear about her cancer. :wack:

She's a great woman. :prayer:

That's a shame to hear about her cancer. :wack:

She's a great woman. :prayer:

I like the part in the YouTube clip I posted where she told Richard he could run off with those trophy girls if he wanted to but see if they will watch after his 4 kids and make them peanut butter sandwiches at the racetracks lol :glasses7:

She is definitely a great, sweet woman :prayer:

I started out as a Lee Petty fan in the fifties, so it wasnatural to follow his kid when he began racing. As the years went by Richard becamemy #1 hero, and no other sports figure came even close to matching the immenseawe and respect I held for the man.

My own son became a fan early and when he was about nine orten, wrote Richard a fan letter. A couple of weeks later, to our completesurprise, a box came in the mail, addressed to my son. Inside was a blue #43baseball cap, a postcard with a photo of Richard with his car, and a shortpersonal note signed in that sweeping, intricate signature he’s known for.

And, a little personal story about the King.

Back in the eighties, on an off weekend for Winston Cup, Richardand Kyle were the featured celebrity drivers at a Winston West road race at SIR.Not wanting to miss seeing them, I bought a pit pass so I could mingle with theteams before the race. Stock car racing in the Seattle area wasn’t very popularin the days before Kasey Kahne, so the crowd was small, even around the Pettys.Kyle sort of avoided people, but Richard greeted everyone who came by, andnever refused an autograph. Instead ofan autograph, I just wanted to shake his hand, and he obliged with his famoussmile…and the squeeze from his big hand about sent me to my knees. Pretty headyexperience to meet your hero like he was an old friend! But, there was more tocome.

Sometime later, while visiting one of the rustic restrooms SIRwas famous for, I was taking care of business at the long, communal urinal.Someone entered behind me, engulfed by a thick cloud of cigar smoke. Yep, itwas him. The King and I shared a urinal while we discussed racing and he chewedon a smelly little, black cigar. Maybe not a big deal for most people, but noteveryone gets to say they hung out with the King!

Sometime later, while visiting one of the rustic restrooms SIRwas famous for, I was taking care of business at the long, communal urinal.Someone entered behind me, engulfed by a thick cloud of cigar smoke. Yep, itwas him. The King and I shared a urinal while we discussed racing and he chewedon a smelly little, black cigar. Maybe not a big deal for most people, but noteveryone gets to say they hung out with the King!

Cool story. :prayer:

One question. If he didn't wash his hand after "hanging out" in the bathroom, would you have still shaken it??? :shock:

Cool story. :prayer:

One question. If he didn't wash his hand after "hanging out" in the bathroom, would you have still shaken it??? :shock:

I shook his hand some time before our latrine meet, but we took turns washing our hands under the single, drippy, cold water faucet...but I must confess, I'd shake hands with the King even if he didn't wash!

I shook his hand some time before our latrine meet, but we took turns washing our hands under the single, drippy, cold water faucet...but I must confess, I'd shake hands with the King even if he didn't wash!

Now that's respect.... :prayer:

Richard will always be THE KING no one will every beat His record!

Very true.

Look at his record for 67. He won over half of the races that year!!!! Dominated!!! :thumblef: :thumblef: :thumblef: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

I doubt that anyone will be able to match that. Possible, but not probable.... :silent:

Speakin' of shakin' hands!!! At Carlisle last year.

Attachments

• DSCN1669.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 303
While it isn't about cars, I had a chance to have lunch at Richard Petty's home in 2011 as a part of a charity motorcycle ride to benefit the veterans service organization I work for. It was certainly one of the highlights of my life. That's me on the left.

-
Back