Richard Petty

-
The first NASCAR Grand National race I attended, and only one run at Huntsville (AL) Speedway, was won by Richard Petty in his distinctive blue 62 Plymouth. I've been a fan ever since.

Junior Johnson and Smokey Yunick were experts at the "Unfair Advantage" aka Creative Engineering long before Roger Penske was a practitioner of the Dark Arts. This is not to say that the Pettys didn't occasionally look beyond the edge for an advantage. Petty confounded the field at the 1968 Daytona 500 by showing up with a vinyl roof on #43. A few speculated that Petty, who had recently taken up golf, thought that the roof improved aerodynamics. What it was supposed to do was take attention away from the work done to seal off the undercarriage. What it did was, as has happened to a few on FABO, was to peel away from the roof requiring a stop for some 100 mile-an-hour tape. Eventually the engine expired putting the King out, though he did lead 5 laps IIRC.

While Petty was dragging around in 1965 in a Barracuda, he demonstrated his ability to turn right in 1966 driving a Team Starfish car with Charlie Rainville in SCCA TransAm.

Attachments

• 1968vinylroof.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 274
  • isaac769sm.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Petty starfish.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 1968vinylrooffix.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 1968vinylrooftapedup.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 250
The first NASCAR Grand National race I attended, and only one run at Huntsville (AL) Speedway, was won by Richard Petty in his distinctive blue 62 Plymouth. I've been a fan ever since.

Junior Johnson and Smokey Yunick were experts at the "Unfair Advantage" aka Creative Engineering long before Roger Penske was a practitioner of the Dark Arts. This is not to say that the Pettys didn't occasionally look beyond the edge for an advantage. Petty confounded the field at the 1968 Daytona 500 by showing up with a vinyl roof on #43. A few speculated that Petty, who had recently taken up golf, thought that the roof improved aerodynamics. What it was supposed to do was take attention away from the work done to seal off the undercarriage. What it did was, as has happened to a few on FABO, was to peel away from the roof requiring a stop for some 100 mile-an-hour tape. Eventually the engine expired putting the King out, though he did lead 5 laps IIRC.

While Petty was dragging around in 1965 in a Barracuda, he demonstrated his ability to turn right in 1966 driving a Team Starfish car with Charlie Rainville in SCCA TransAm.

Very cool... Thanks, for the story.

:glasses7:

Attachments

• 1963_RP_Paschal_Herk_LP_bushmire.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 222
:prayer:

Attachments

• dff2f47d019642504e9c726adcefe7d4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 249
  • d3bede26603db0fe42b90b86623e0470.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 211
:happy1:

Attachments

• c154175e6ec81e9647f7d67f31968eed.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 235
My wife and I got on an airplane in Pittsburgh to go to Vegas, we had a stop in Wichita Kansas and then on to our destination. So we board and FYI I hate to fly so I'm just zoning out. My wife hits me on my leg and says "Richard Petty just walk by." I told her she was nuts and then turned and looked down the isle and low and behold, the King, Richard Petty. She says "go talk to him" and I did. I walked right over and said "what an honor to meet you" hand extended. He said, "come on and sit down I cant hear you over these jet engines." we talked for a good ten minutes and that my friends is one of my highlights of my life!

My wife and I got on an airplane in Pittsburgh to go to Vegas, we had a stop in Wichita Kansas and then on to our destination. So we board and FYI I hate to fly so I'm just zoning out. My wife hits me on my leg and says "Richard Petty just walk by." I told her she was nuts and then turned and looked down the isle and low and behold, the King, Richard Petty. She says "go talk to him" and I did. I walked right over and said "what an honor to meet you" hand extended. He said, "come on and sit down I cant hear you over these jet engines." we talked for a good ten minutes and that my friends is one of my highlights of my life!

Awesome story :prayer:

:glasses7:

Attachments

• tumblr_nm1tvyEeCS1t5pdaio1_1280.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 125
-
Back