ride height

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I am getting ready to replace my /6 torsion bars with some .890 . I am wondering what is the correct ride height to set the car up when i complete this. I know it sits to low now and its hard on the tires. Iwill be getting new tires and wheels for the front and just wanna make sure all will be good for allignment afterward.
Oh, and where is the proper place and method to meassure? I think there is 2 messurements to take and subtract but can't remember where. Thanks.

I guess need to know the car huh? 71 Swinger with /6 and a 904. Any other info needed?

I would install the new torsion bars and get the ride height roughly where it looks good and then get a proper alignment shop to set it properly.

Thanks Dartnut. Thats the info I am looking for. Not sure what rough ride height is.

Roughly 1/2 to 3/4 inch of daylight between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender lip. If the alignment shop is competent, they can adust it from there.

I have mine set at 2 1/2" from metal of lower arm bumpstop pad to bumpstop strike plate on frame. It sits just right for me.

thanks bbswinger. Is that factory or just where you have it set? any alignment issues?

HemiPar - According to the Haynes manual, 1971 A-body 2 door ride height should be set at 1-5/8 inches. Like you said this is the difference between 2 measurements. "A" is from lowest point of the torsion bar adjuster arm (they call it a "blade") to the floor. "B" is from the lowest point of the steering knuckle at the centerline (basically the bottom of the lower ball joint) to the floor. Ride height is "A-B". Hope this helps!

thanks bbswinger. Is that factory or just where you have it set? any alignment issues?
No issues yet but im gonna get adjustable strut rods and upper CAs before I get it aligned again from RMS. This is where it has been for like 12 years though and tire wear and hi-speed handling have been fine.

Thanks all. should probley get a manual for the car But then nobody would ask questions here right? Again thanks.

Thanks all. should probley get a manual for the car But then nobody would ask questions here right? Again thanks.

I've got the Haynes manual and I'm STILL on here about every job I do! Can't beat personal help on this kind of stuff, nothing works the way the book says it will...

-
Back