Ridiculous people

-

Max340

Reaction score
On my property there is a road that four neighbors use to access their land. It cuts across a corner of my land. There is no easement per se, but a gentleman's agreement to allow the road to exist. I mow along it to keep it nice, and trim the trees back so its not obstructed.

So last Tuesday, I hook up my car trailer to go pick up a car, and pull out of the yard. I find that most of the lights on it are burned out, or otherwise not functioning. Because its not currently registered, and its dark out, I decide to park the trailer. In the process, it slides in mud and becomes stuck. Since there is a bunch of mud, the truck just isn't pulling it. A quick check finds that the trailer is clear of the road, less than a foot, but clear of the road.

Because of the weather, I opt to leave the trailer there until a good freeze solves the mud, and I can yank on it with the truck. The next afternoon, one of the neighbors comes and demands that I move the trailer immediately. Why?

"Because when we wreck coming down this hill, that's where we wreck."

Next summer, I plan to put railroad ties as posts along the road to be sure they don't have to worry about wrecking in my yard anymore.

Let the air in your tiers on both the truck and trailer down to 10 lbs or less and she should come right out of there.

They'll wake up when reality smacks them in the face!

I would make sure you are ready to "stand your ground" before I placed any railroad ties. No telling what some of the nut cases will do when they lose their tempers.

If you let someone use part of your land for more than 7 years they may have legal standing to take it from you. Quash this right now and say "No More, I'm Done!".

Capitalize!

Demand $5000.oo from each family to use your "easement". Then if they decline, which they most likely will, simply put up a large gate blocking the drive.
Or....capitalize with the large gate by charging a $.50 toll for every vehicle in or out after you show them the land plot proving you are the owner.

I had toyed with the idea of charging for the road, but that seems like looking for trouble. The road has been there about 20 years, so its prior to my purchase of the land.

The ties are going in though, and there will be nothing they can do about it. I have a 30.06 to back up the ties if need be. I'm also good friends with the local Magistrate. I'm putting in a drainage ditch just behind the ties, so it'll solve the mud permanently, and there will be a reason to have them there, to keep wrecked cars out of the ditch.

If there is no easement you can go the opposite way on them , the road is old enough to be claimed as permanent but not mapped as such so shrink it down to 5 ft wide with removable posts at the entrance and explain to the other users that one guy is ruining it for them, until they sort it out amongst themselves you are planning on using"your land " for something else and they'll just have to buy skinnier trucks,Why fued with them when it can be amazing what turning them on each other can accomplish I bet he not only apologizes but pulls your trailer out for you 8)

If it was mine i would block it, tear the road up and put grass down and tell them tuff @%#. o yeah and put up private property signs......just my 2 cents

Ramcharger's right. You're probably already screwed. My dad had a similar situation (in Connecticut). Went to court. He lost. Get a lawyer before you do anything.

air ouy of the tires in the truck will help with traction, air out of the tires on the trailer will probably just make it harder to pull. Neighbors that are hard to deal with can be a pain.... but, being nice goes farther than being mean and vindictive.

Neighbors that are hard to deal with can be a pain.... but, being nice goes farther than being mean and vindictive.

I agree

let the guy who complained continue unmolested with his crappy life. he will continue to earn more and more difficulty with his negative attitude while your energy is free to continue being the guy who allows people to access their land.

making people happy is much less work and more rewarding than making them mad.

does the jerk have a mopar?
just another reason you are a better man.

I agree on letting idiots be, and moving on. That's why I figured putting up what amounted to a guardrail would not only be good for my plans on drainage (since the "ditch" will be a trough with a perf-pipe and stone cover under dirt and grass) to protect the ditch, but it would be hard to argue against me in court by saying, "He put in a guardrail on his own property".

The idiot in question does not own a Mopar. In fact, he owns a Nassau blue 64 Corvette convertible. Kinda figures, eh?

If everybodies land is behind yours, you cannot legally keep them from using the road, if you try to, its called land locking, that won't work, and since its been there so long, you are peeing up a tree""". If I was having a problem, such as me keeping maintanaince at my expense, I beleive I would have a neigborhood meeting, and let them know what the meeting is about, infor them that the land is deeded to you,you own property, don't know what state you are in but in Mo. you pay property taxes every year, inform the yo are paying the taxes on this property, if noones deed shows and easement through your property legally, then you can do what you want.. I would do the meeting thing and go from there, remember love thy neighbor..Good Luck.

For the jerk, just ask him to not wreck there until you are able to get your trailer out.

Does any of your other neighbors have a small tractor that might be able to pull it out? Even a tiny Kabota should work.

The idiot in question does not own a Mopar. In fact, he owns a Nassau blue 64 Corvette convertible. Kinda figures, eh?

Well, that pretty much sums up the old joke we had the Chevy garage: "What's the difference between a 'Vette and a porcupine? The porcupine has pricks on the outside."

For the jerk, just ask him to not wreck there until you are able to get your trailer out.

Does any of your other neighbors have a small tractor that might be able to pull it out? Even a tiny Kabota should work.

I'd like to have a BX TLB with mower deck. Not happening this year.

Get your trailer out then finish flooding that part of YOUR land so no one else can use it as a road. Seems like a perfect spot for a small fish pond...

-
Back