Right spark plug

-

65valiantsignet

Reaction score
I've got a 1965 273 which I have added a 4 barrel and electronic ignition. Looking at specs I have read two different Champion plug listings, one being N9Y, one being N11Y and the other being N14Y (of course it would be upgraded to resistor). The first question is which one is right? Does the numbering going up mean hotter or colder? Also, does using a platinum plug make any difference vs the copper core? Of note, I can't get NGK or Bosch plugs in my area, only Champion so I have to stick to them for now until I cross the border near xmas.

I did buy a set of Champion Platinum 3405's and I'm about to install them this morning.

Thanks for any help.

There,s a place off Hwy 20 called the Performance Cellar 905-664-3671 ask for Venice,he can help you out with NGK,s for your 273.Good Luck.

I've got a 1965 273 which I have added a 4 barrel and electronic ignition. Looking at specs I have read two different Champion plug listings, one being N9Y and the other N11Y (of course it would be upgraded to resistor). The first question is which one is right? Does the numbering going up mean hotter or colder? Also, does using a platinum plug make any difference vs the copper core? Of note, I can't get NGK or Bosch plugs in my area, only Champion so I have to stick to them for now until I cross the border near xmas.

I did buy a set of Champion Platinum 3405's and I'm about to install them this morning.

Thanks for any help.

Do a little research you can buy any plug under the sun in your area, you don't need to cross the boarder. PM me when you find out what you want I'm not far from you.
Kenny

Use NGK #ZFR5N (NGK stock number 3459). It's the correct heat range to replace N14Y, and is the stock spark plug for many late Mopars including (for shopping purposes) a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 six-cylinder engine. This spark plug has a projected extended electrode pair to move the spark point closer to the centre of the combustion chamber and away from quenchout zones. No magic or gimmick, and they cost the same as NGK's regular plugs, but the extended electrodes give a little better, more consistent ignition. They were initially developed for hard-to-fire lean running emission-controlled engines in the late 1970s (AMC 258...Chrysler Imperial EFI 318...). I tend to run 'em in my 2.2/2.5 four-cylinder Mopars, my slant-6s, my 273s and 318s, always with good results.

Champion and Autolite are garbage any more.

Back in the 1970's I converted my 273 from 2bbl to 4bbl. I put in 4bbl pistons, factory 4bbl manifold, carb, & distributor, & a street hemi grind cam. Also later added headers, dual exhaust, & aluminum intake. The 2bbl engine was supposed to run the N14 plugs & the 4bbl was supposed to run N9s if I remember right. I tried the 9s & ended up stepping up to 13s to get a plug hot enough to run right without fouling. Just an FYI.

Cross reference the champion over to an Autolite i don't run anything but Autolites in any of my vehicles...

I've got a 1965 273 which I have added a 4 barrel and electronic ignition. Looking at specs I have read two different Champion plug listings, one being N9Y, one being N11Y and the other being N14Y (of course it would be upgraded to resistor). The first question is which one is right? Does the numbering going up mean hotter or colder? Also, does using a platinum plug make any difference vs the copper core? Of note, I can't get NGK or Bosch plugs in my area, only Champion so I have to stick to them for now until I cross the border near xmas.

Thanks for any help.

The higher the number the hotter the plug.........

Just find the most expensive plug you can find and that will be the best one. everybody knows the highest price always nets you the best stuff. :toothy10:

For what it's worth, I have found a major stash of N14Y's at Old Car Parts NW. I believe he is selling them for $1.00ea. They say Mopar right on them.

Just the kind of answer I expect from you.

Ok everyone, got why stroked uses them, so I guess any brand is fine as long 'they work'.

Justin, clean out your inbox so I can send you a PM askin you why people are so damned hard headed.

-
Back