Rim and tire fitment help

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I've got a 73 dart swinger with a stock 7 1/4 rear end, nothing has been moved in the rear to accommodate wider tires. I've found some weld pro stars that are 15x8 with 4.5 BS, I want to put some Mickey Thompson 235/60/R15 tires on the rims, would they fit? Or will I have rubbing problems?

So I've got a 73 dart swinger with a stock 7 1/4 rear end, nothing has been moved in the rear to accommodate wider tires. I've found some weld pro stars that are 15x8 with 4.5 BS, I want to put some Mickey Thompson 235/60/R15 tires on the rims, would they fit? Or will I have rubbing problems?

It's going to be close using an 8" wide wheel but I think it should work just about perfect, especially with a 235 tire that's not to big. I would buy the rims and check how the rims sets in the wheel wells and the amount of clearance you have before buying tires if you don't have them yet. Might be able to go bigger.

The tire is going to be close to the springs that's not a big deal as longs as they don't rub, you only need about 1/4" clearance off the spring and I have ran less with no rubbing. It's nice if you can get at least 1/2" off the fender lip. If it's closer you can trim that lip off a little if needed.

I would measure your car using the method described here. I measured about ten times before ordering my wheels and tires.

Every car is different and what fits one may rub on another. I choose to know exactly what will fit before spending my hard earned money.

I would measure your car using the method described here. I measured about ten times before ordering my wheels and tires.

Every car is different and what fits one may rub on another. I choose to know exactly what will fit before spending my hard earned money.

^^^^^ thank you for that!
I'm gearing up to make some changes to my newly acquired '71 Demon and the research to sort what would fit and what would not was eatin me!

Of course now I want to hire someone to move my rear springs so I can fit larger more expensive rims & tires :roll:

a 8" rim with 4.5" bs is exactly what you need. i ran that on my 67 for long time with a 245/60/15. had to trim 1/4" off the wheel lip because it would rub if i had fat girls in the back.

a 8" rim with 4.5" bs is exactly what you need. i ran that on my 67 for long time with a 245/60/15. had to trim 1/4" off the wheel lip because it would rub if i had fat girls in the back.

you may want to add a set of superstock springs, the added inch and stiffness, will allow you to haul as many fat girls as you want. lmao

think you mean 5.5BS, here are the 16x8's with 4.5" BS, rear is perfect, front not so much! im going to have a 7/8" spacer made for the rear so i can run any of the 4 tires on any corner

here are 255/50-16's on my 73 swinger, only mods are 1" bars up front and 1 1/8 bar, in the rear is low arch SS springs (cant remember if its 003 or 002)

about 10" wide :glasses7:

Attachments

• 100_5779.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_5780.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 100_5781.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_5782.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_5783.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 225
think you mean 5.5BS, here are the 16x8's with 4.5" BS, rear is perfect, front not so much! im going to have a 7/8" spacer made for the rear so i can run any of the 4 tires on any corner

here are 255/50-16's on my 73 swinger, only mods are 1" bars up front and 1 1/8 bar, in the rear is low arch SS springs (cant remember if its 003 or 002)

about 10" wide :glasses7:

Are those V5's ? You have a pic of the car with them on it, been considering the same wheels for my 69 Dart

Are those V5's ? You have a pic of the car with them on it, been considering the same wheels for my 69 Dart

yea they are the v-5's, and sorry no... those were the only pics i could get as they were closing.

those were 4.5" BS wheels and for the rear they were perfect, but on the front stuck out (edge of tread even with outside of fender), so the 5 3/8 should be good (5.5 is best) but 5 3/8 is the most they can go on those from the horses mouth at crager.

-
Back