Rimblow wheel questions

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
I have not long since bought a '71 Dart. It decodes as having a rimblow horn wheel on it. Sure enough it does, but the previous owner has broken the centre ring on it. The part I'm talking about is the centre button part that if you were sitting in the driver seat and looking at the wheel it would be in the middle. The button has a black centre with a silver looking ring that goes around it and then the wheel. Looks like he could not figure out how to get the horn to work and ended up prying on the centre to remove it. Broke a large section of the ring off.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get another centre from?

Also, how does the rimblow horn work? I see the black part in the middle of the rim. Is that like on the Fords that have rim blow in that you squeeze the black part and the horn will honk?

I'm going to have to get in an redo the wiring on it etc. as the wire off the back is currently sticking out and not connected to anything, but I'm hopeful that I can get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

10%20spd%20009.jpg

Yes, theres a black wire running along the wheel itself. Not under the cap. I think they are a pain, hardly ever work and are hard to find parts for. The best part is E body guys pay big bucks for them. I say sell it and buy a bunch of nice pats for the dart.

hey moparbrit...what color is that dart? do you know what the color code is on the fendertag? doorjamb looks like it is or was citron yella ( curious yellow for plymouth) see if it is code gy3....

AdamR - I had thought of pulling it off and putting on a different factory wheel, but I would kind of like to see if I could get this one working. I guess the car was a fairly optioned out car so would be a bit of a novelty to get it working and have it on the car. If I can't get it going I may still swap it.

I have seen some wheels for sale that went for big bucks. Surprised me. Most seem to have a fish horn emblem though instead on the centre.

7demon2 - Yes, car is a Citron Yella car. Previous owner painted the outside a cream yellow colour at Macco. Not a good job as it is chipping down to the original colour. Door jambs, trunk interior, under hood is still the original colour though. Would like to see if I can build a plastic media blaster out of an old blast cabinet gun and maybe strip it back so I can put decent paint on it back to the original colour. From where the previous owner has started to sand off the paint to take the body side molding off on the one side you can see there are four layers of paint on it. The original, then the cream yellow one, then lime and then the cream yellow again. Got receipts for two Macco paint jobs with the car. Appears what happened was he had the car for a long time, painted it the cream yellow colour, a few years later it needed a repaint so he went in and told them to paint it GoGreen (?). Don't remember the Mopar paint name, but it is that bright lime colour. He thought that is what the original colour was called. When he went to pick it up he realized it was not the right colour and the said his wife hated it so they had Macco turn right around and paint it back to the cream yellow. Makes for thick paint on the car. Hopefully I can get it stripped of and have the original colour back on it again.

i think that pink-e on bbd restores those. or can lead you in the right direction

Hi sweatybetty. Pink-e is a user name assuming. What is bbd? Sorry to not know as is probably obvious, but still pretty new here.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

MoparBrit said:
Hi sweatybetty. Pink-e is a user name assuming. What is bbd? Sorry to not know as is probably obvious, but still pretty new here.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

yes sue ( PinkE) restores rim blows.. not shure if she messes with the switch though... BBD is www.bigblockdart.com i had one for my dart wich originally came with one until i found out what it they were going for.. i got $500 for that bad boy...:) my standard black wheel fells better then the rim blow.. the rim blow just felt too close to me..

MoparBrit said:
I have not long since bought a '71 Dart. It decodes as having a rimblow horn wheel on it. Sure enough it does, but the previous owner has broken the centre ring on it. The part I'm talking about is the centre button part that if you were sitting in the driver seat and looking at the wheel it would be in the middle. The button has a black centre with a silver looking ring that goes around it and then the wheel. Looks like he could not figure out how to get the horn to work and ended up prying on the centre to remove it. Broke a large section of the ring off.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get another centre from?

Also, how does the rimblow horn work? I see the black part in the middle of the rim. Is that like on the Fords that have rim blow in that you squeeze the black part and the horn will honk?

I'm going to have to get in an redo the wiring on it etc. as the wire off the back is currently sticking out and not connected to anything, but I'm hopeful that I can get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

So is that a picture of what a rim-blow looks like?

Thanks for clearing that up!

Wow, that is a chunk of change for the wheel! Tempting me now. If I could get that for it I'd make back about half of what I bought the whole car for.

Cheers

-
Back