Ring Chamfer Position

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Installed my rings on the pistons yesterday EXACTLY as shown on the ring packages. It showed the top piston ring chamfer pointing down, just like the second ring. Called Indy and they said that the top ring chamfer should be pointing up. There was no dot on the top ring to show which way. There was a dot on the second ring however. Now I have to remove all 8 pistons and rods and reinstall the top ring. What give? Have any of you had this problem? So the chamfer on the top ring should point up? Any advice appreciated!

Does that sound odd to you guys? I called Wiseco, and tomorrow I will bring the P/N with me to work and ask. However, both chamfers pointing down? Does it make a difference? Now I'm worried either way. I really appreciate you guys replies on here. Just trying to make sure I do it right the first time.

Most times they are up and if there is a dot always goes up, but I have seen some 2nd rings that go down...

Think I may be freaking out here. The chamfer is on the I.D. of the ring, and I installed it exactly as shown. There is no chamfer on the O.D. of the ring. It shows both the first and second rings with a chamfer on the I.D. facing the bottom of the piston. I calling Wiseco back today with the P/N, however the top rings definetely had NO dots anywhere on the rings. My friend who is much more experienced in engine building than I, verified this. Ya'll probably think I'm nuts, don't you. lol.

I also agree with Dave that you should go by the ring manufacturers recommendation. Also all the ones I've seen have the chamfer on the ID. Not the OD.
Oh and BTW. Yes we think your nuts!!:toothy7:

Hard to argue with the manufacture. But in all my years I have never seeh the chamfer in the down postion on the top ring. The reason is as the piston travels up on the comp stroke the chamfer is suppose to make a tighter seal against the cylinder wall.

fishy68 said:
I also agree with Dave that you should go by the ring manufacturers recommendation. Also all the ones I've seen have the chamfer on the ID. Not the OD.
Oh and BTW. Yes we think your nuts!!:toothy7:
Yes, the chamfer was on the I.D. and I called Wiseco and I installed them correctly. Whew!! Now about these rod side clearances. For some reason I only get .008 between the #7 and 8 rods. What gives? Yeah, I'm nuts!

Yes, I build jet engines for a living, so Nothing goes unmeasured and is also measured in .0001 increments. My neighbor, a Chevy guy, thinks that I put too much thought in the things I'm checking and thinks I'm anal. If it was a Chevy, I probably would as I wouldn't care if it broke stuff as much. But a Mopar deserves methodical and accurate build technique as I think it has much better design characteristics.

what a wing nut for a neighbor. They all make a diff you know that I know! I worked for GM for 15 years because they are more of them and more work and more broken cars. Seen bunches of back yard wanta bes do stuff wrong.

You are right to check everything.

I always double triple check torque, clearances etc...

take care!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

-
Back