Rip in Convertible top

-

Frank8256

Frank8256
Reaction score
I was enjoying a beautiful, sunny day here in North Texas (77 Degrees), by putting the top down on my 64 Valiant. When I got home and lifted up the convertible top, I found a new rip. Not real happy, to say the least. What have you all done to fix rips on convertible tops. Thanks!

Im in same position...
Where on top is your rip? My top is old and knew I didnt have long before a rip due to lack of pliability. Mine happened where the hinge bends into the top when its fully retracted. Thikin its time for a new top as repair in this area would still experience constant pressure when top is opened and probably wouldnt last long.

The rip is on the driver side of the car on the side of the top close to the fold when you put it down. It sounds like it is close to where your tear is also. It is an older top also. I may have made a mistake by putting a new plastic window in and not replacing the whole top. Trying to do the least expensive thing.

Ok if there older tops then its time for new ones guys . ive seen my uncle and dads tops do this just buy a new one

At some point the factory added a tiny wire loop like a finger to the top mechanical that changed how the top folds in those corners. I dont know how this might apply to your car, just sayin' Good luck

At some point the factory added a tiny wire loop like a finger to the top mechanical that changed how the top folds in those corners. I dont know how this might apply to your car, just sayin' Good luck

You know... I remember seeing pictures of this somewhere. Maybe here? I will have to do a search-but if anybody has it avail please share.
It was a metal piece that was attached to the frame corner that didnt allow the frame to push into the top as much in one spot.

I agree- a new top is needed but would like to add this pc if it will prolong the life of a new top prior to install.

Found the pics... but cant find the link. Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 248
I've got the same rip on my top too...Driver's side and all. Did it when putting it down when it was too cool out. I just used some heavy duty thread and a curved needle and stitched it up. Been that way for 4 years now. I've run it with the top up and so far it has held up. You could probably put some duct tape on the inside or maybe one of those iron on patches...that Mom use to use on my jeans...:)

Frank we need to get together some time....maybe for a sewing lesson. :)

Man, I really NEED a set of those wires for my top. WTF do ya get them from? I've never seen or heard of them before.

George

My top has a tear in the same spot but someone installed a cheap light weight top on it anyway. I plan on trashing it and put on the correct weight and style top on it if I ever get the car done. In convertible tops you get what you pay for so if you buy cheap you will replace it more often.

Attachments

• Feb 2012 iPhone pics 133.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 176
Look what I just got in the mail the other day...!!!

Thanks Larry aka WildCat.
Guys- hes the member who sent me those pics when back before my top ripped. In speaking with him... we might be able to talk him into producing addtl sets of these if anybodys interested???? Im gonna install mine this weekend hoping to alleviate any further damage to top.

Attachments

• Feb 2012 iPhone pics 111.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Feb 2012 iPhone pics 135.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 151
yep that's the same spot where mine ripped. I sewed mine up many years ago and no problem so far....but next time and I may redo mine...I will sew it from the inside. :)

-
Back