RJ'z Duster

-

alvarezrjjr

Reaction score
hey I am the new kid on the block ,I am starting a build on a 72 duster going to have a lot of questions, please be patient with me I am so EXCITED about the build I almost dont know where to start,so here I go.
I have drums all the way around and want to change out the drums on front to disc and need a list of parts with part #'s if possible and I am going to swap out the slant 6 to a small block strocker and need information on if I need to change any thing in the front suspension , I plan on rebuilding the front end but want to make sure I do it right the first time.Please Help !!
thanks Bob
P.S.
I want to use the stock parts for front disc brake set up,and make it power brakes also.

Hey There, I have a 73 Duster s6 to 360 727/ 8 3/4. I bought mine with the power disk set up and don't know about the suspension. It seems to be stock from what I can see when I buy replacement parts. When you do the s6 to small block you need the Schumacher conversion kit. You may want to get a 727 and 8 3/4 rear in the process. It will save you money in rebuilds in the long run. The disk power set up is awesome. I actually just got mine working properly after going through 3 mast cyl. Stops on a dime. Do you have power steering? I do not, so do not know about any mods there. Hope this helps you some. I know you can find a-body disk set up from other cars. Go to a mopar car show. All the parts you will ever need.

Brian

I think your best bet is to find a complete parts car, a '73 and up a body that was originally a V8 car and take the whole front suspension, k member, steering box, engine wiring, proportioning valve for the brakes and power brake booster and all linkage and brackets, gas pedal and cable, motor mounts, etc. and then rebuild the front end completely with a kit from PST.
If you try to piece it together, it will cost you a lot more in the long run.
The stroker small block has a lot of kits available for them, i would start with a 360 core and work from there.
As for a rear diff, i would use an a body 8 3/4 and buy bbp axles, or a '66- '70 b-body 8 3/4 and move the perches in, or a '73 and up a body 8 1/4 if you aren't going to be too radical with how you use it (slicks burnouts etc)
Rebuild all of the brakes and change the brake lines for safety reasons.
This isn't the only way to do this, but IMHO it's the best way in the long run.
Good luck and welcome to the site!
Let us know how it goes.
Tom.

Oh and since your only in Yucca Valley, you should go to the Mopar Fall Fling in Van Nuys October 30th I believe. Tons of Vendors with parts you will need. Like the disk conversion, and K- member and other stuff mentioned above. You also will be able to see conversions done on cars like yours, and talk to the people that did them in person. Plus it's Mopar Paradise!

Good Luck

-
Back