Roaring Rear End

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
All right so I finally got the engine quite enough in my 65 Barracuda that I can tell the rear end a 7.25in is roaring. My question is what could cause this and is there anything I can do? I have been considering lowering the gears where can I find a place that sells them and what would be ideal for a Slant Six? I am confident they have never been replaced and are original to the car. I don't know for sure which gear I have but I believe I checked it to 2.93.

I thank you I do not see the posting but I am not sure if that is necessary either. I am not really sure I want to just throw my rear end away. Also I still use the small bolt pattern.

noise in the rear end is normally one of 2 things. Bearings, or ring and pinion... If it is stock, and never been screwed with, I would imaging it is probably bearings. I would pull the axles and check axle bearings, while you have those out, drop the rear of the driveline and check pinion for sloppiness or to see if it feels smooth as it turns.

If bearings are all good, then it is ring and pinion.

If you plan on changing to another gear ratio, just get another rear end with what you want already installed. If you plan on keeping the rear you have and repairing it, here's what I would do to find the noise. Get the rear up in the air where you can run the car in gear. Support the car properly so there is no chance of it falling. Get a stethoscope or wooden dowel to listen to different areas of the rear while it's spinning. A constant low growl from either end of the axle tube indicates a wheel bearing is bad. The same type of noise just to the rear of the u-joint and the pinion bearings are bad. Noise at the inner end of the axle tubes and it's probably the carrier bearings. A whine or change in pitch of the noise when you accelerate or decelerater and it's likely the ring a pinion are bad. Take care in doing the diagnosis as there are several parts spinning around and they are unforgiving if you get caught up in them. Severe injury or death can result. On a 7 1/4, I wouldn't do anything more than replacing an axle bearing or seals. Sinking any money into one is a waste. Save your pennies and get a better rear.

Not what you would want for an A-body unless you plan on narrowing it and changing to the big bolt pattern wheels.

-
Back