rocker arm advice

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking to replace the rocker arms on my 68 Cuda 383 4 speed.. I rebuild the engine last year but left the stock rocker arms. Still hearing a bit of valve train noise, so thinking possibly rocker arms. I ran the comp cams #1621-16 adjustable roller rockers in my last 440 but are pretty pricey now.. was thinking either HD stock rockers or comp cams adjustable rollers agian... any advice?? Thanks

How loud is it?

When you were putting the engine back together, what was your lifter preload? It may just be very light preload which could make some light ticking. Otherwise, the lifters you used may bleed down faster than the oil flow at idle can keep pressurized.

Stock rockers should be fine if your running stock components...I guess I should ask what cam lifters and springs you're using....

How much did the rest of your engine cost? You should consider that in making your decision instead of looking for something cheap.

Mainly stock rebuild Including KB 400 pistons, 69 RR cam, comp 911 valve springs. Stock rebuild 906 heads. No block decking or head milling. The noise is not to bad, just thinking it should be quiter.

Mainly stock rebuild Including KB 400 pistons, 69 RR cam, comp 911 valve springs. Stock rebuild 906 heads. No block decking or head milling. The noise is not to bad, just thinking it should be quiter.

I don't think I would run anything other than stock. If I remember right, I THINK the 383 HP came with the HD stock type rockers that MP later offered. They had a thicker cross section at the pushrod cup area and were beefier everywhere else too. Those should be all you need.

As for the noise, you probably need to do some inspecting. It should be pretty quiet.

I bet that makes for a nice combo though. GREAT street motor.

I don't think I would run anything other than stock. If I remember right, I THINK the 383 HP came with the HD stock type rockers that MP later offered. They had a thicker cross section at the pushrod cup area and were beefier everywhere else too. Those should be all you need.

As for the noise, you probably need to do some inspecting. It should be pretty quiet.

I bet that makes for a nice combo though. GREAT street motor.

It's not that it is a loud noise. You can just hear the valve train working. I remember on my last 440 I had similar noise, them when I put the comp 1621 roller rockers it really made a difference noise wise. Does summit racing have the shafts avilible???? Yes it does make for a street engine.. thanks

I remember some member here told me he wouldn't run stock rockers on a BB " come hell or high water"

Stock rockers can be a bit of an unknown. I had stock rockers in a car that would run high 11s but still had the occasional failure (shoved a pushrod through the rocker). I was using a Crane 520 lift cam and the engine would see over 6000 rpm a lot. My old 70 Chrysler Town & Country had an HP 383 engine that ran like a striped a$$ ape but made a lot of valve train noise. There seems to be some variables in the thickness of materials used. Combine that with wear and you can get pretty noisy. If you scrounge through a few sets of BB Mopar rockers you will find some that are really loose on the shaft and some with a much better fit. The ones with the less elongated shaft hole are usually thicker or formed better all the way around. For most street applications a good set of OEM rockers that have been culled and assembled properly will work just fine. As mentioned above if you have light or no preload they will make noise and tend to fail.

Big Block Valve Train Assembly

With a stock type Hydraulic Camshaft {.450" to .475" Lift}

I use 'adjustable' Push Rods and {-.0005"} undersized Lifters.

It makes for a 'great' combination.

The 'stock' Big-Block Stamped Steel Rocker Arms {.140" side-wall}
and {.105"} at Valve-Tip and Push-Rod end should be fine up to 5500 RPM's
with Single-Coil w/Damper Valve Springs.

Note; A little old-school trick. Add in some 'Marvel Mystery Oil' with your Engine Oil.

I remember some member here told me he wouldn't run stock rockers on a BB " come hell or high water"

Could well have been me.......but I am talkin about the old Chrysler HP rockers that MP later came back out with. They are a lot beefier.

Any now if these rockers from Summit are the HD type?
Going to get a price on them and really inspect my rocker shafts and hopefully reuse them...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-09-08-53-28.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 217
These are some old Erson 1.75 ratio that have held up pretty well. I was running some 1.6 roller tips but the Mopar push rods weren't reliable with them and I had a set of 3/8 cup and ball rods and these so I'll buy some better push rods for the next project that uses the roller tips.
vbpgimage.php

-
Back