Rocker Arm Bar Torque Setting

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question, I have a 509 mopar purple cam with flat tappett hyd lifters in my 340 and would like to know what the rocker arm bar torque setting would be ? I believe it is around 17.5 ft/lbs. for stock bar so would the torque setting still be the same using the 509 cam? Thanx

I remember reading here about a misprint in some manuals that had guys breaking those rocker shaft bolts by over torque. My memory sux but I'm pretty sure the correct torque was determined to be 18 ft lbs.

Yeah. 25 LB FT is printed in a LOT of places....but it's WRONG. LOL

Ya tell me about it went to 25 and broke one bolt off. After that ruined the head trying to get the bolt out. Live and learn. Only new bolts for me from now on.

Yes 25 ft/lbs does seem like an awful lot. So my memory is correct when I said I thought it was 17.5ft/lbs. I just wanted to be sure. Ok guys thanx for the feedback and I'll continue to read this post for further feedbacks.

I'm one of the victims of that mis-print. It was the old Mopar Engine bible. I think it said 35 ft/lbs. Just finishing a head gasket job, and, I broke the bolt in the counterbored hole. The repair was going good until the screw extracter snapped off...

My best advice to you guys using torque wrenches on lil dinky bolts it to STOP.

Torque by feeeeeel....once you master this, you'll never break a bolt or have a shaft come loose on ya.

I have never in my life used a torque wrench on anything 'with a few exceptions' other than the main/rod bolts.

I sometimes use different types of mallets to 'tap' with, like for the cam bolts I use a lil rubber mallet that I just wap the wrench with a time or 2, or slant intake/exhaust...I do by feel and have never had a leak/issue.

Certain torquings just need the right wrench/tool weight behind them, things like trans pan bolts should use a 1/4 ratchet...... not a 3/8 drive with a breaker bar hanging on the end.lol

When you get 'the feel' 4 it, you can tell when enough is enough or a bolts is stretching and needs to be backed out and replaced.

sorry, just my impulse thought on this.

My best advice to you guys using torque wrenches on lil dinky bolts it to STOP.

Torque by feeeeeel....once you master this, you'll never break a bolt or have a shaft come loose on ya.

I have never in my life used a torque wrench on anything 'with a few exceptions' other than the main/rod bolts.

I sometimes use different types of mallets to 'tap' with, like for the cam bolts I use a lil rubber mallet that I just wap the wrench with a time or 2, or slant intake/exhaust...I do by feel and have never had a leak/issue.

Certain torquings just need the right wrench/tool weight behind them, things like trans pan bolts should use a 1/4 ratchet...... not a 3/8 drive with a breaker bar hanging on the end.lol

When you get 'the feel' 4 it, you can tell when enough is enough or a bolts is stretching and needs to be backed out and replaced.

sorry, just my impulse thought on this.

I am glad you said that,I always torque my shaft bolts by feel:blob6:never ever ever had a problim

Always did it by feel; last time on the shaft, used that pos 35 lbs. Snapped a bolt. All grade 8 now...and by feel again.

-
Back