Rocker Arm Torque

-
.............Uh, wait..................

Factory 360s do not HAVE "rocker arm bolts." Unless you are referring to the "rocker SHAFT bolts"

If you have 273 adjustable rockers, the LOCK NUT on those so equipped is listed in '72 as 25 ft lb, which I find interesting, didn't know they built any adjustable ones (Were the AAR/ TA adjustable?)

The rocker SHAFT bolts are listed at 200 inch - lb which is about 17 ft lb (for 5/16), and in 67 they are shown at 15 ft lb

and in the '70 book they are shown as 3/8 bolts at 25 ft lb in the "70 Dart/ Challenger" but in my paper ORIGINAL 70 Plymouth manual, they are shown once again as 5/16 and at 200 in lb

Bring them down in steps with the final setting being good and snug.

Mymopar says 30 ft. lbs. but after some investigating they are wrong.

When did the factory use a grade 8 bolt?

It's 17-18 ft lbs or 200 inch pounds

Service manuals for 68-71 that I have ALL say 200 inch pounds.

Tighten a grade 5, 5/16-18 bolt to 30 ft lbs and you really need to be skilled at retrieving broken bolts from holes.

If the 70 Dart/chally book shows them as 3/8, IT'S WRONG and people need to use there powers of observation.

We are talking the 5 3/8X16 bolts that hold the rocker shafts, correct? Or did I misread something?

It is a 5/16-18 and the torque for a grade 5 bolt is 17 ft pounds dry.

They aren't 3/8 bolts in a std SB head.

And that site has another bit of INCORRECT info on it.

It is a 5/16-18 and the torque for a grade 5 bolt is 17 ft pounds dry.

They aren't 3/8 bolts in a std SB head.
Mine were streching on a set of X heads I installed and I just replaced them w some grade 5 3/8x16 bolts from the hardware store. They torqued down fine @ 30 ft. lbs. After a closer look someone has drilled and tapped these heads to 3/8-16.

Have at it. I'm done.

For the OP, measure the bolts, confirm diameter and proceed.

Have at it. I'm done.

For the OP, measure the bolts, confirm diameter and proceed.

I just went out and double checked, someone must have drilled and tapped my X heads to make them 3/8-16. Just checked 2 other sets of heads X and O and they are deff. 5/16-18. In that case I would Deff NOT torque a 5/16 bolt to 30 ft lbs.

Thanks guys. I tried 30 ft lbs before i made this thread and i broke a bolt. I tried 17 and that feels tight enough.

I always go 15 LB FT with red locktite and never have a problem.

I always go 15 LB FT with red locktite and never have a problem.
I was wrong at 25 and strokerscamp is right at 15. I finally read my book and it made me smart again.

IMG_0612.jpg

Not a SB but the instructions that came with my last set of T&D rockers for my RB says to torque to 35 ft lbs. These are 3/8" nuts and studs. The instructions do call for the studs themselves to be torqued to only 60 inch lbs into the heads.

I retract my earlier post, but that info didn't come from mymopar.com. I found my old books and they say 17 ft/lbs.

I retract my earlier post, but that info didn't come from mymopar.com. I found my old books and they say 17 ft/lbs.

Agreed. I lucked out that someone had drilled and tapped my X heads to 3/8-16 or otherwise I probably would have snapped my bolts. Im wondering why someone would have made the hold down bolt bigger. Any ideas as to why someone would have gone through the hassle of doing so? Big cams w alot of spring pressure do the 5/16 have a tenancy to break? I have never heard of it.

-
Back