Rocker Panel Dent

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions/advice on how to go about pulling this dent out of my 74 Duster driver side rocker panel.

The car is stripped to the unibody, no motor, trans, harnesses or fluid lines, but the engine bay and bottom of the car are primed and painted in the new body color.

I have a fluxcore welder I know how to use, grinder, drill, and basic mechanic tools.

Please let me know what I need to get and the best way to go about it.

Thanks!
DD

Attachments

• dent.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 246
Yes I have researched and have seen videos about the stud welder dent pullers.
I was thinking to come at from the inside by using a holesaw on the floor behind the dent. Then I thought there may be a back wall to the inner rocker, and one of my buddies from the forum told me that was not a good idea.

Drill a hole centered above it and use a 1/4-3/8 extension and a hammer with a dolly on a jack pressed flush against it. Work it around in there pounding gently. Get paint in there so it doesn't rust. Plug the hole with a body plug when your done.

I'm pretty much positive those are double channeled inside, and the vert's I know are heavy double channeled.
Have you considered cutting that surface out and replacing it?

If it were mine, I would drill the lower spotwelds off at the bottom of the
rocker panel, to separate the inner from outer rocker. Then use a cutoff wheel
and cut the smashed in section out, and either straighten the dent on a steel workbench
or like, or find a decent used rocker section for a donor piece. I can tell you that when
the outer rocker and inner rocker are smashed in like this, it is so very strong in that
area, that it would be like trying to make a stone flat, it is that strong. Good luck with
whatever you try. Dodge33

before I had a stud gun we spotted nails on and pulled.

if you dont want to spend the $ for a stud gun weld a nut in the crease and pull with a regular slide hammer.

If you are doing more body work , the harbor freight stud gin does a good job, and I also use the tip to heat shrink metal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

the only way I would remove the rocker was if I was going to replace it, and if that dent is the only issue (no rust/rot) there is no way I would replace it. Drilling from the back sounds like a poor choice.

Well this wouldn't be the first time I've welded a nut into a crease....lol
I like this option best so far....

A stud gun is pointless there. Your pinch weld is shoved up and that can't be pulled with nails.

You need to hammer/dolly the pinch weld into shape, put a clamp on it and get it pulled back down.

Then.... You can fix the dent.

It's great to get advice from everyone. Looks like everyone agrees this is a tough spot to work on

-
Back