rocker shaft change?

-

Thumpower

Reaction score
I just bought a rebuilt (I think) 68 or so 225. I want to pull the head and take a bit off for more compression. Then I was reading on the forum that this requires a different rocker arm set up? True? If so, why and what will I need?

I milled .090" off the head of a /6 I had years ago, this changes your rocker arm geometry if I remember right I shimed my rocker arm stands .040" never had any problems.

I think you are talking about pushrods, but usually on a slant six, there is enough adjustment in the rocker arms where you can use the stock pushrods. You will not know for sure until you have the head back on and go to mock it all up.

ON A 225 SOLID LIFTER engine, you can mill a moderate amount ( I would say about .050-.060) with no problems. If you run a bigger then stock cam,you can mill more without problems. I have run heads milled .125 with a bigger then stock cam, and stock valve train, except for stiffer valve springs.
On a 170 engine, with .100 off the head and a mild cam, I did have to use shorter pushrods.

With a hydraulic cam 225, if you mill more then about .030 you should definatly check the lifter preload.

-
Back