Rocker Shafts

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
I have been wrenching on Mopars for 25+ years. I just learned something this week. I always knew to install the rocker shafts with oil holes down. What I didn't know was the oil holes are 15 degrees from the centerline of the retaining bolts. They are required to angle towards the valve spring, as this is where the rocker has the greatest amount of pressure. This would explain why myself & others have had problems with the rockers galling on the shaft, more so with stronger valve springs & perf. cams. This is true on small & big blocks. I got this info while reserching something else. It came out of an August 2002 Mopar Action Mag. They had a reprint of a diagram from a shop manual. I went out & looked in my shop manual, yep it was in there. I just thought I would pass this info on.

Mike,

The oil feed recess is on the spring/exhaust side of the head on rocker shaft tower too.

Isn't that why the notch on the end of the shaft is supposed to be at the front of the block on one side, and toward the rear of the block on the other, don't remember which side is which off hand. It is in the Chilton book though.

Isn't that why the notch on the end of the shaft is supposed to be at the front of the block on one side, and toward the rear of the block on the other, don't remember which side is which off hand.

Yes

-
Back