Rocker under quarter panel

-

hemiorange

Reaction score
What's the function of the rocker panel under the quarter panel? Does it provide any structural support? Mine is totally rotten so I had to cut most of it out and am wondering if I should spend the time rebuilding it or if I can just cut the rest of it off. It looks like the original rocker went under the quarter panel and the quarter panel was lapwelded over top but if I buttweld the new quarter to the new rocker would I still need it there?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 229
A-bodies are a unibody construction. Most things are structural, especially in the rocker area.

In fact the body construction is lacking rigidity from the factory. That's why many add structure, like sub-frame connectors.

I sure wouldn't be removing anything. Rebuild it.

Absolutely needs rebuilt and additional structure added to that area as said above. Good luck!

I'd make it happen, could be pretty simple to bend up if you can't find a donor.

I'm going to add subframe connectors but I'll try to fab something to go in there as well. Thx!

AMD is making a very nice completer outer rocker for them, put one on a challenger recently, its nice to have these available .

Attachments

• 20130419_135742.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 204
AMD makes OE inner and outer rocker panels. Inner rocker is structural, outer is cosmetic, and these two parts tie the front to the rear of the car. AMD also has all the torque boxes used on convertibles and big block cars to further stiffen the structure.
https://www.autometaldirect.com/
Other venders carry AMD parts as well.

I also agree, that is definitly a structural part of the car. That's where your rear frame rail ties into the inner rocker (where your front leaf spring shackle mounts too) so there will be a lot of stress/force in that area. It looks like you cut past where the rocker goes in behind the quarter, so it might be worth getting an entire outer AMD rocker and completely changing it out IMO. I've already got a set of the AMD rockers and they are really nice thick pieces! If you want to add some rigidity to the car while you have the outer rocker off you can add some extra steel in behind the rocker to tie the torque boxes in (like the convertibles had) if you don't wanna run subframe connectors and have it appear stock.

-
Back