Rocket for Daughters Xmas Present

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
So, did a little Christmas shopping today for my new 8 yr old daughter. I found myself in Hobby Lobby and got her a Estes model rocket kit complete with launch pad, electronic launcher, engines, etc. You all think she'll dig it? We've got a giant park across the street to launch it at. I also picked up some spare engines (the most powerful it'll take, LOL!):bom:. It even has an electronic read out that tells you how fast it went in mph/kph once it lands.

Think she'll be pissed that I didn't get her another freakin' stuffed animal?

Those are too cool! I used to build them when I was younger. I would like to get my son one some time!! Jared

So, did a little Christmas shopping today for my new 8 yr old daughter. I found myself in Hobby Lobby and got her a Estes model rocket kit complete with launch pad, electronic launcher, engines, etc. You all think she'll dig it? We've got a giant park across the street to launch it at. I also picked up some spare engines (the most powerful it'll take, LOL!):bom:. It even has an electronic read out that tells you how fast it went in mph/kph once it lands.

Think she'll be pissed that I didn't get her another freakin' stuffed animal?

ahhhhhhh, yeah! "for your daughter" ??? I think we all know who the rocket set is really for...LOL :wav: I know I would like it!

Get her a rocketeer bear complete with helmet and goggles and a I love you note. A note like "You send me out of this world" Love...ramcharger.

Lil'girls are great, but can be a pain to keep smiling sometimes. They don't exactly share the "I got a HEMI! And I'm so happy I could...." phrase with us.

I had one too, years ago. I launched one when it was way too windy one day and it landed way up in a tree. That sucker hung there for about two years, just teasing me. I didn't have enough money to get another.

I'm thinking that this will be something we can do together. Maybe I can turn it into a math lesson after we gather the speed data to calculate time of flight and altitude. Kinda of an educational toy.

ahhhhhhh, yeah! "for your daughter" ??? I think we all know who the rocket set is really for...LOL :wav: I know I would like it!
Dam.......busted! lol!

Get her a rocketeer bear complete with helmet and goggles and a I love you note. A note like "You send me out of this world" Love...ramcharger.

Lil'girls are great, but can be a pain to keep smiling sometimes. They don't exactly share the "I got a HEMI! And I'm so happy I could...." phrase with us.

Excellent idea Rumble! Now where do I find one of those? Wal M@rt?

I almost got her a visible Hemi kit complete with electric motor and sound chip, funny you should mention that.

just be sure to have a big count down,,,,, 10, 9 , 8 ect. and let HER push the button. lol. If the wind is blowing even alittle, be prepared to run for a couple of blocks to catch it. Merry Christmas,

I almost got her a visible Hemi kit complete with electric motor and sound chip, funny you should mention that.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get these things! I got one about 2-3 years ago from someone, stashed it away in my basement and never opened it. Was never really a guy that liked putting models together. This would be cool to build but I just don't have the patience.....LOL Maybe someday.......

I'm not allowed near the model rocket engines anymore. In years past I came up with this great idea about making a model rocket car. I had it all figured out. It was a flywheel powered model of a land speed car that I used. I was able to fit a D size engine in it. And it even had a guidance setup. A length of 1/8 aircraft cable stretched down the block with a huge stop plate. The stop plate was a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 steel, well strong enough to stop a plastic model car. By the time I had it set up half the neighborhood was out helping. The rocket car lived up to it's name when it was launched. It made it about halfway before the cable broke from the friction of the guide loops, and took off for the sky like a scud missle. I never found out where it went or any news of it skewering a cat on a fence or anything. I think I have figured out how to fix the friction problem. Maybe I'll try it again.

I'm not allowed near the model rocket engines anymore. In years past I came up with this great idea about making a model rocket car. I had it all figured out. It was a flywheel powered model of a land speed car that I used. I was able to fit a D size engine in it. And it even had a guidance setup. A length of 1/8 aircraft cable stretched down the block with a huge stop plate. The stop plate was a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 steel, well strong enough to stop a plastic model car. By the time I had it set up half the neighborhood was out helping. The rocket car lived up to it's name when it was launched. It made it about halfway before the cable broke from the friction of the guide loops, and took off for the sky like a scud missle. I never found out where it went or any news of it skewering a cat on a fence or anything. I think I have figured out how to fix the friction problem. Maybe I'll try it again.

LOL......Thats Awesome!!!!......LOL Good times!!!!!

Some friends & I used to use the model rocket engines to make huge "bottle rockets." We'd take the plug out of the top end of the rocket engine & fill the top with powder we took out of firecrackers. Then we'd plug the top with a sodium silicate (IIRC) solution that hardened almost like rock. After that we glued the engine to a 1/4" dowel rod. You had to make the rod just the right length to make it balance right so it'd fly correctly. Stick it in a piece of tubing stuck into the ground, poke a fuse up inside the bottom, & follow the standard fireworks instructions. "LIGHT FUSE, GET AWAY" You can imagine how high up they went before the BOOM.

(Don't tell any of my kids about this. My wife's a doctor & doesn't want them handling fireworks at all.)

exactly what i was thinking.64 cuda got some new fireworks. whatever you do with kids its a good thing.

Some friends & I used to use the model rocket engines to make huge "bottle rockets." We'd take the plug out of the top end of the rocket engine & fill the top with powder we took out of firecrackers. Then we'd plug the top with a sodium silicate (IIRC) solution that hardened almost like rock. After that we glued the engine to a 1/4" dowel rod. You had to make the rod just the right length to make it balance right so it'd fly correctly. Stick it in a piece of tubing stuck into the ground, poke a fuse up inside the bottom, & follow the standard fireworks instructions. "LIGHT FUSE, GET AWAY" You can imagine how high up they went before the BOOM.

(Don't tell any of my kids about this. My wife's a doctor & doesn't want them handling fireworks at all.)

We used all sorts of crap in the top and had the final rocket fire into the payload where the chute used to go! Voila! Instant Fireworks! of course the neighbors weren't too pleased... oh well..Science!

We even used to buy "dynamite fuse" that would burn at a rate of 30 seconds/foot, even underwater. Of course, we never used it for anything illegal, never inhaled, only outside the territorial waters of the U.S., etc........

Stuffed animal will be a thing of the past for her know.:grin:
Good idea ramcharger, time spent watching your daughter see and enjoy
something she has never seen before, Or has she?
I have seen them in hobby lobby myself but never watched one go.
Let us know when count down is and get a video of it.

Stuffed animals :thumbdow:
Rocket :thumbrig:

My daughter used to think they were great! :) She had more fun with model rockets than either of my boys.

Tip: cut a hole that is at least 2" in diameter in the center of the parachute. If you don't they stay up for ever and will find the woods to land in. A lot of the smaller rockets I just replaced the chute with a streamer.

just be sure to have a big count down,,,,, 10, 9 , 8 ect. and let HER push the button. lol. If the wind is blowing even alittle, be prepared to run for a couple of blocks to catch it. Merry Christmas,

Yep, she gets to push the button! Yeah, you're right, calm days are the key to recovery.

Where do you get these things! I got one about 2-3 years ago from someone, stashed it away in my basement and never opened it. Was never really a guy that liked putting models together. This would be cool to build but I just don't have the patience.....LOL Maybe someday.......

Hobby Lobby is where I saw it.:icon_smi:

:shock: Wow! Sounds like fun!:shock:

whatever you do with kids its a good thing.
Agreed!

We even used to buy "dynamite fuse" that would burn at a rate of 30 seconds/foot, even underwater. Of course, we never used it for anything illegal, never inhaled, only outside the territorial waters of the U.S., etc........
Ah, the legal disclaimer. :evil3:

Take binoculars and prolly best to start with a smaller engine.
I like the binocular idea, thanks!

My daughter used to think they were great! :) She had more fun with model rockets than either of my boys.

Tip: cut a hole that is at least 2" in diameter in the center of the parachute. If you don't they stay up for ever and will find the woods to land in. A lot of the smaller rockets I just replaced the chute with a streamer.

Good to hear! In the evening when I walk out for a smoke she'll tag along and ask about the stars. I'm hoping to pique her curosity and show her why math is so important.

Good tips on the chute modification. I will do that, thank you.

-
Back