rod and main bearing ?s

-

moparPW200guy

Mopar freak!!!!
Reaction score
the rod and main bearings in my 360 for my PW are pretty much trashed. they seem to be warn down to copper, or whatever it is they are made out of. this cant be good right?? what could this problem be????

if you need pics i can have them but it might take till this weekend to get em.

also if this is not a good thing how should i solve it????

sorry for askin so many questions but i have never done this before and need advice!

This is caused by a out of round crank journal,and the firing order on the crank.If you have the crank turned,and allow for a clearance of .0025-.003 on the mains and the rods you will elimanate 95% of the problem.The clearance can be checked with micrometers and a plastic guage.If not in spec,return the crank and have a .0005-.0010 remove with a polishing strap to get the right clearance,mrmopartech

Agreed with above. I just took my Crank and block to the body shop, had it line honed and had the crank turned and polished, It cost be about $100 for both, they both went to .010 over. Replaced the bearings, Motor runs like a .....

can't say clock, clocks tick ;) but you get the idea.

You could replace just the bearings, but I wouldnt bother. Either buy a crank kit (comes with machined factory crank and bearings) or remove yours and have it turned. The problem is too much space, or uneven surfaces, where the oil is supposed to be. Fixing half of the problem with just new bearings, can lead to failure in very short order.

moper said:
You could replace just the bearings, but I wouldnt bother. Either buy a crank kit (comes with machined factory crank and bearings) or remove yours and have it turned. The problem is too much space, or uneven surfaces, where the oil is supposed to be. Fixing half of the problem with just new bearings, can lead to failure in very short order.

thats what i am thinking i will need to do... problem is $$..... i dont have a lot of it. so this is turning into a VERY long term project.... and i need the truck sometime this summer but oh well... i have one running truck so that will have to do.

thanx guys. your more informative than the local dodge TRUCK sites ihave asked this on.

-
Back