Rod bolts fell out!

-
rebuilding th big ends back to stock round you use the same new bearings
some rods like with serrated caps you have to use od size bearings but not you

3 Stupid questions.
Can rod bolts (Factory or ARP.) be installed with piston on rod?
Are bolts installed with a press only? Heat and plastic hammer or hammer brass punch perhaps.
Can big end be reconditioned with piston installed on rod?

Thanks

I've never had issues tapping stock bolts into rods with a small hammer. (But I have not done every rod in the world either, nor did I ever think or bother to check the roundness afterwards.) So I would suspect it'll be fine with the pistons on. I don't get wild, just take my time and gently tap them in place. You can see here how much force it takes to remove some at about 3:00 minutes in:

Recon is another matter. If they don't need much, AND the parting line is perpendicular to the rod axis, then only the cap is ground. But I have found a rod or 2 where the parting line was a bit angled to the rod axis, and both halves might need grinding in that case. But whether the honing machine can work with the piston on, IDK.

And of course reconditioning shortens the rods a bit. So that is a question... there was a set someone wanted to sell me, and some of them looked like rebuild-house reconditioned rods; the lengths varied by .019" across the set! 0.2 to 0.3 points of compression difference..... OK for 'runnin' around' I 'spose, but not for a blueprinted build. Of course I declined the purchase LOL

I actually watched that video today. Pretty informative. I also saw an online price sheet for a shop (Western Engine Supply) that will resize with piston on.
Not that I would send there and don't know if prices are current but it looks like it can be done.
upload_2020-5-4_18-39-7.png

but do they hang AND ALIGN??
check for bent and or twisted rods???

Last edited:
what does post 39 have to with aligning rods,checking for bent/ twist??

post 50 more than the crank
you can change the id of the bearing by varing the crush
there is a high to low spec

-
Back