roll cage

-
*sniff sniff* I smell expensive...

what kind of roll cage you looking for? Do you want it to be certified, or is it just for looks?

If you are going drag racing,get one made to your specs.It,s more money but it will be safer.Also if you give the guy the specs for nhra or ihra you wont have problems with tech. Mark

anybody ever deal with http://autoweldchassis.com/index2.ivnu
i have spoken with a local shop and while he said he could bend me up a custom cage he would prefer not having to "reinvent the wheel" and suggested i get a cage kit:read2:
I called and called and left messages for someone to call me back at Auto Weld about some questions i had about a ladder bar kit and i never got a call back nor could i ever get a technician to pick up the phone so after a couple of months i went with S&W Chassi they were cheaper and a nice looking product

I called and called and left messages for someone to call me back at Auto Weld about some questions i had about a ladder bar kit and i never got a call back nor could i ever get a technician to pick up the phone so after a couple of months i went with S&W Chassi they were cheaper and a nice looking product
I've never installed Autoweld components, but I'd like to, as I've been told through other fabricators, that they have excellent products!
With respect, I must disagree about having a custom cage made. There are times when it is deemed necessary, but safer? I guess that all depends on the application. But, for a car to run down into the nines(?), how can you beat pre-bent systems from Alston, S&W, and Competition Engineering?? Unless you have the tools to do all the bending, know the shrinkage, bend radius, material take-up (you get the idea, the scrap pile can get big), in most cases, you may be better off getting a pre-bent unit. I"ve never had any issues with any "kit cages" not passing NHRA certifications due to under-thickness in bend radius, plate thickness, etc..
Good luck with your build-up!

I've never installed Autoweld components, but I'd like to, as I've been told through other fabricators, that they have excellent products!
With respect, I must disagree about having a custom cage made. There are times when it is deemed necessary, but safer? I guess that all depends on the application. But, for a car to run down into the nines(?), how can you beat pre-bent systems from Alston, S&W, and Competition Engineering?? Unless you have the tools to do all the bending, know the shrinkage, bend radius, material take-up (you get the idea, the scrap pile can get big), in most cases, you may be better off getting a pre-bent unit. I"ve never had any issues with any "kit cages" not passing NHRA certifications due to under-thickness in bend radius, plate thickness, etc..
Good luck with your build-up!

you are correct about the kits passing tech. but when you order a prebent kit you are getting a product that a previous customer gave the builder of the kit deminsions. You have no idea what that person was working around such as interior or consoules., type of seat. most kits I have seen don't fit as nice and tight to the body as I like for them to fit. the Main hoop sometimes has a big gap between it and the door jamb sometimes and when you install the door bars they pass almost on top of the seat. best bet is to get a cage built to your car and what your intentions are. wish you were near me I would take care of a cage for you no kit here. Its not hard don't have to reinvent the wheel, sounds like the guy you talk to doesn't know how to bend a cage or no equip. or doesn't want to put one in your car.

i have a frind in az that is a very good fab guy. a few of the off road trucks he has built have suffered some severe crashes, flipping several times etc. and after the dust has settled still been able to open the doors. thing is he has only done 1 car. no doubt in my mind he can do this but........

http://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/index.html

the above is his website. if you look at the transmission page you will see my cheby that he did trans on. if anyboy in the east valley ever needs a trans guy he is the guy to see. just tell him postal doug sent you........

last trip to az i visited hemicop, and met the fab guy who did the cage work on his car. i have spoke with several people up here and they all want to do a "kit". have a few more people to talk to up here (spokane area) and if they don't pan out, the car will be making a 1500 mile trip to az.

Sounds like you already have some help in that area. Great. Off road guys trucks take some very severe punishment!! Keep in mind that for the most part, they use .120 wall tubing on their builds. This tubing, going into bends, may lean out on the outside radius enough to not pass NHRA minimum thickness standards. I'm only posting this for your information only, and no doubt you have already considered this.

Dale

-
Back