Roller 360

-

moparyoungin

Reaction score
I've got a buddy that has a 1990 roller 360. I was going to build a 318 but I was wondering if I could use this 360 instead. I have a set of magnum heads I would like to use. I was hoping I could use a hughes roller cam. I have no clue about these rollers motor I'm not sure if they are worth it or not. I just want to know if they are worth building or not. Thanks in advance!

Youngin, since you have the 90 block with the roller setup you can run a hydraulic roller cam fairly cheap. Your block will have deeper lifter bores with roller lifters, a set of dogbones to hold the lifters in place and a spider bolted to the center of the block that holds the dogbones in place.

I am currenty building a 408 stroker from an 89 360 roller block. Can't say if its worth it for sure but I have read a roller cam will make more power than a hyr flat tappet cam.

Comp Cams makes a line of retro-fit roller cams for small block mopars. I'm going with the 280HR-10 cam. Its about $300 for the cam and 110 for a set of new roller lifters. If your's are good you could reuse them but I'd rather buy new and not worry about it.

Good luck,

Steve

Take the 360 to a machinest if your going to rebuild it and check it out.
Otherwise, a upgrade of 48 cubes and stroke is a great step. And roller to boot.
OUI! Whatcha miss here?

Is there a way you can use a regular flat tappet cam in this block? Roller cams are pretty expensive... If this motor has 308 heads I'm going to use them instead and sell my magnum heads.

I know for sure that some roller tappet blocks came with flat tappet cams. I have an '88 roller block with a flat tappet cam in it stock. I believe all roller LA blocks cam use flat tappet cams.

Chuck

I agree with 340mopar you can use a flat tappet cam in the roller block no problem. Another option would be to look at a reground roller cam for about $120. I see them on ebay sometimes or you can send your stock cam to a company like Ultradyne. Then use your stock lifter setup.

If you 90 360 is a TBI motor then it you should have 308 heads.

Steve

-
Back